|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Seneca is a city of approximately 8,000 residents, located in Oconee County in northwestern South Carolina. On at least three occasions, law enforcement in Seneca have initiated investigations targeting sex buyers.
In July 2008 and June 2010, officers with the Seneca Police Department conducted street-level reversals along city streets using a female undercover officer as a decoy. Following both investigations, the names of and other identifying information about the sex buyers arrested were publicized in local media outlets.
In May 2012, the Seneca Daily Journal-Messenger reported the arrest of a 62-year-old Seneca resident and “former Guardian Ad Litem volunteer” following an undercover investigation by the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office. The man was charged with soliciting prostitution after “following a month-long investigation, [during which he] allegedly paid informants to perform sexual acts.” His identity was similarly publicized in press. Although the logistical details of the operation were not reported, OCSO deputies stated that the sting was launched after law enforcement received a complaint.
- Seneca Police Department
- Oconee County Sheriff’s Office
- John Arrests with Shaming:
- “Man Charged with Solicitation of Prostitution,” Seneca Daily Journal-Messenger, May 24 2011.
- Street-Level Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Prostitution Sting Results in 5 Arrests,” Seneca Daily Journal-Messenger, July 17 2008.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Arrests,” Seneca Daily Journal-Messenger, June 17 2010.
- “Guardian Ad Litem Arrested, Charged in Oconee County Prostitution Sting,” CBS/WSPA-TV 7, May 21 2012.
- “Deputies: Child Advocate Paid Informants to Perform Sexual Acts,” NBC/WYFF-TV 4, May 22 2012.
- “Man Charged with Soliciting Prostitution,” Seneca Daily Journal-Messenger, May 23 2012.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Undercover Operation Nabs 4 for Prostitution,” Anderson Independent-Mail, March 19 2007.
- “Second Arrest for Accused Seneca Prostitute,” Seneca Daily Journal-Messenger, April 7 2007.
- “Fifth Prostitution Arrest in Seneca,” Seneca Daily Journal-Messenger, September 4 2007.
- “Undercover Busts Net Pair of Arrests,” Seneca Journal, September 11 2013.
Comments are closed.