|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Sedona is a city that straddles the county line between Coconino and Yavapai counties in the northern Verde Valley region of Arizona. Its population is roughly 10,000. Prostitution and sex trafficking in the city, and in surrounding communities and unincorporated areas, have been very well-documented for decades. For example, in July 2014, two men were arrested after contacting what they thought was a minor girl through a “social networking site” and soliciting sex. Both were charged with luring a minor for sexual exploitation; one of them was also charged with child prostitution, as he allegedly “described sex acts [to the undercover officer] and offered money in exchange.” In June 2015, undercover YCSO deputies apprehended four male sex buyers during a web-based reversal staged at an undisclosed motel in the county. Each of the men arrested allegedly attempted to contacted what they thought was a minor female offering prostitution (but was, in fact, a law enforcement officer) online. All of the offenders’ names and arrest photos were released to the public. In each of the aforementioned operations, the YCSO was assisted by agents with U.S. Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Arizona Department of Public Safety, Partners Against Narcotics Trafficking (PANT), and Camp Verde Marshal’s Office, as well as several nearby police departments. In July, 2021, the Yavapai Silent Witness’ Catch 22 Program announced that Yavapai County law enforcement was asking for the pubic’s help in finding a man who, in August 2015, had arranged to meet with a female he believed to be 16 years old for sexual abuse in the Sedona area. He arrived at a Sedona Hotel as arranged, and offered $80 for sex. He was subsequently arrested, but failed to appear in court. A nationwide extraditable warrant was issued with a $100,000 bond for Child Prostitution. The man’s last known address was on White Bear Road in Sedona.
- Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office
- Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
- Camp Verde Marshal’s Office
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “4 Arrested in Prostitution Sting,” Prescott Courier, June 8 2015.
- “4 Arrested in Yavapai County Prostitution Sting,” ABC/KTVK-TV 3, June 8 2015.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Four Men,” Verde Independent, June 9 2015.
- https://www.dcourier.com/catch-22-day-15-sedona-man-sought-child-prostituti/ (2021)
Sex Buyer Arrests, Identity Disclosure:
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Child Prostitution Charges Denied”, Prescott Courier, July 29 1983.
- “Local Man Sentenced”, Prescott Courier, October 14 1983.
- “Prescott Reverend Is Arrested for Investigation of Child-Molestings”, Prescott Courier, September 9 1990.
- “Pastor Indicted on Four Counts of Child Sex Acts”, Prescott Courier, September 18 1990.
- “Former Local Pastor to Be Sentenced in Sex Crimes”, Prescott Courier, June 11 1991.
- “‘Cash for Sex’ Sting Gets 7 AZ Men Arrested”, ABC/WNCN-TV 17, April 28 2014.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Suspects Seeking Underage Teens for Sex”, Press Release, Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office, April 28 2014.
- “Yavapai County Men Arrested during Child Prostitution Sting”, Camp Verde Bugle, April 28 2014.
- “Operation Targets Buyers of Child Prostitution”, FOX/WJBK-TV 2, April 29 2014.
- “Arizona Men Jailed in Yavapai County Underage Sex Sting”, Camp Verde Bugle, July 24 2014.
- “Yavapai Deputies Arrest 2 Men in Luring Case”, FOX/WTVT-TV 13, July 24 2014.
- “7 Men Arrested for Child Prostitution at Yavapai Co. Hotel”, CBS/KPHO-TV 5, August 29 2014.
- “8 Arrested in Yavapai County Child Prostitution Sting”, Arizona Republic, August 29 2014.
- “8 Men Arrested in Yavapai County Prostitution Sting”, ABC/KTVK-TV 3, August 29 2014.
- “Eight Arrested in Yavapai County Prostitution Sting”, NAZ Today, August 29 2014.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Suspects Seeking Underage Teens for Sex”, NBC/KVOA-TV 4, August 29 2014.
- “Eight Arrested in Underage Sex/Prostitution Sting”, Prescott Daily Courier, August 30 2014.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Men Seeking Underage Sex”, Camp Verde Bugle, August 31 2014.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Men Seeking Underage Sex”, Verde Independent, August 31 2014.
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Little Is Known of Early Those ‘Ladies of the Night’; But Prostitutes Were, In Fact, Here”, Prescott Sunday Courier, June 8 1997.
- “History of Prostitution in Prescott Produces Surprises”, Prescott Daily Courier, May 15 2005.
- “Digging Up the Dirt: Prescott’s Red Light District”, Prescott Daily Courier, March 2 2007.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Limiting Liquor, Ladies, Lust and Livestock”, Prescott Courier, September 9 1991.
- “Prescott Prostitute Found Sordid Life Made Fodder for Film”, Prescott Daily Courier, January 13 2002.
- “Police Charge CV Man in Solicitation of Probationer”, Prescott Daily Courier, March 2 2004.
- “Police Arrest PV Man for Prostitution”, Prescott Daily Courier, May 27 2008.
- “Officers Charge Woman with Solicitation of Prostitution”, Prescott Daily Courier, August 2 2008.
- “Public Display Leads to Arrests on Prostitution Charges”, Prescott Daily Courier, July 28 2009.
- “Police Make Arrests in Prostitution Probe”, Prescott Daily Courier, August 6 2009.
- “Police Called after Alleged Sex-for-Money Deal Fails”, Prescott Daily Courier, July 14 2011.