|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Sebastian is a city of about 26,000 residents in Indian River County, Florida. It is located in the Treasure Coast region, on the Atlantic Coast north of Point St. Lucie. Other substantial cities nearby include Vero Beach, Winter Beach, and Fellsmere. The presence of prostitution and its associated crime and disorder problems in the county have been well documented for decades, particularly street prostitution and storefront brothels (e.g., massage parlors) along Route 1. Sex trafficking has also occurred in the city. In January 2019, an investigation was conducted into human trafficking and prostitution occurring in a storefront “spa” brothels across several counties in Florida. After conducting surveillance and investigations in response to allegations, and then establishing probable cause, warrants were obtained and surveillance cameras installed in four Indian River County brothels. Three spas in Indian River County were shut down in the raids in Vero Beach, Sebastian, and unincorporated Indian River County. Four spas in Martin County and one in Jupiter were also involved in the multi-county sting, but law enforcement officials said there are no connections between the Indian River and Martin County spas. Other brothel stings occurred in Orange and Palm Beach Counties as well. The accumulated evidence initially led to arrest warrants for 54 male sex buyers in Sebastian. Additional warrants may be issued as the evidence is further pursued. The six-month investigation revealed human traffickers were luring vulnerable girls to massage parlors in Indian River County, where they were coerced into working as prostitutes. Ten spas from the Orlando area through the Treasure Coast into Palm Beach County were shut down as law enforcement began making arrests. Indian River County agencies issued warrants for 173 people, eight on charges ranging from human trafficking to racketeering, and 165 for soliciting prostitution. The sex buyers ranged in age from 19 to 84.
Most of the men will face charges for soliciting prostitution. Depending on the circumstances of the individual events, some of the men may not be booked into the County jail. Residents of Florida may receive a notice in the mail saying they are summoned to appear in court; out of state residents may have warrants issued for their arrest in Florida. Different agencies in Florida may handle charging and booking differently; e.g., in related investigations, Martin County arrested and then booked sex buyers, and posted each mug shot online; Palm County did not book them or post photos, and Indian River County agencies posted photos before the arrests occurred. Soliciting another to commit prostitution is punishable as a second-degree misdemeanor for a first offense and a first-degree misdemeanor for a subsequent offense. A first offense carries a jail sentence of up to 60 days, and a second offense carries a sentence of up to one year. Under Florida Statutes, punishment options for people charged for the first time with soliciting a prostitute may include a diversion program that may involve performing up to 100 hours of community service and attending a course on the harmful effects of prostitution and sex trafficking “if such programs exist in the judicial circuit in which the offender is sentenced.”
- Sebastian Police Department
- Indian River County Sheriff’s Office
- Vero Beach Police Department
- Indian River County Multi-Agency Enforcement Unit
Reverse Sting, Identity Disclosure:
- “Vero Police Arrest 17 in Anti-Prostitution Sweep”, Miami Herald, August 31 1986.
- “Prostitution Sting in Vero Beach Nets Four ‘Johns’”, NBC/WPTV-TV 5, May 24 2012.
Arrests of Brothel Clients, Identity Disclosure:
- “Two Vero Beach Massage Parlors Involved in Prostitution Arrests”, Indian River Press Journal, December 31 2008.
- “Racketeering Charges Land Seven in Jail”, Hometown News, January 1 2009.
- https://www.wptv.com/165-men-charged-with-solicitation-of-prostitution-in-indian-river-county (2019)
- https://www.tcpalm.com/spas-connected-human-trafficking-arrests-opened-within-past-two-years (2019)
- http://www.wmbfnews.com/huge-florida-sex-trafficking-sting-results-nearly-arrests-warrants-with-more-still-coming/ (2019)
- https://www.nbcmiami.com/Dozens-Arrested-in-Massive-Sex-Trafficking-Busts-in-Florida (2019)
- https://www.sebastiandaily.com/sebastian-and-vero-beach-arrests-in-prostitution-sting (2019)
- https://www.sebastiandaily.com/johns-island-foundation-president-arrested-in-prostitution-sting (2019)
- https://kdvr.com/man-allegedly-tied-to-florida-prostitution-sting/ (2019)
- https://www.northcentralpa.com/who-are-the-264-men-arrested-in-the-florida-day-spa (2019)
Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area: