Seaford is a city in Sussex County, Delaware with a population of approximately 7,000. Prostitution and sex trafficking are well-documented problems in the city. To combat consumer-level demand, local police have periodically conducted reverse stings. For example, in November 2017 the Seaford Police Department assisted the Dover Police Department and the Department of Homeland Security (Homeland Security Investigations Immigration and Customs Enforcement) in executing an undercover prostitution operation in Seaford. Police said six men were arrested on prostitution charges. The names, ages, and city of residence for the men arrested were released by police.
In August, 2018, an undercover prostitution operation led to the arrests of eight male sex buyers in Seaford. The individuals were arrested and charged with patronizing a prostitute and loitering to engage in prostitution. One of the men was booked on charges of patronizing a prostitute, loitering to engage in prostitution and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child. Police said the latter charges were filed against him after he solicited an undercover female officer for sex while his two children were in the back seat of his vehicle. All were identified in news reports. Seaford police were assisted by the Delaware State Police Troop 5 P.A.C.E. Unit and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
In August, 2019, Seaford Police arrested five men during an undercover prostitution operation, each charged with patronizing a prostitute. The operation was a result of an initiative to identify problematic areas within City Limits displaying a high level of quality of life issues. Seaford Police were assisted by the Laurel Police Department, Delaware State Police Troop 5 P.A.C.E. Unit, Delaware State Police Sussex GTF, Delaware State Police SDU, Department of Corrections Probation and Parole, and Delaware State Police Victim Services Unit.
- Seaford Police Department
- Delaware State Police
- Troop 5 P.A.C.E. Unit
- Sussex GTF
- Delaware State Police SDU
- Victim Services Unit
- Department of Corrections Probation and Parole
- Reverse Sting:
- “Police”, Wilmington News Journal, October 3 2003.
- http://www.wboc.com/story/36862626/six-arrested-in-seaford-prostitution-sting (2016)
- https://www.delaware1059.com/news/six-men-arrested-in-undercover-prostitution-sting-in-seaford (2016)
- https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2017/11/16/six-men-caught-and-charged-soliciting-prostitutes/870529001/ (2016)
- http://www.wboc.com/story/37797203/five-arrested-in-sussex-county-prostitution-sting (2018)
- http://www.wboc.com/story/38906073/9-arrested-in-seaford-prostitution-bust (2018)
- https://www.delaware1059.com/news/arrested-in-undercover-prostitution-sting-in-seaford (2018)
- https://www.delaware1059.com/news/prostitution-bust-in-seaford-delaware-two-prostitutes-and-five-johns (2019)
- https://www.wmdt.com/2019/08/undercover-prostitution-operation-results-in-seven-arrests/ (2019)
- Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “Father and Son Charged with Operating Prostitution Ring”, CBS/WBOC-TV 16, March 21 2006.
- “Prostitution Raids Net 13 Suspects”, Wilmington News Journal, March 21 2006.
- “14 Arrested in Prostitution Raids Said to Be Here Illegally; Ringleaders Transported Women from N.Y., Police Say”, Wilmington News Journal, March 22 2006.
- “Raids Reveal Possible Human Trafficking; Del. Prostitution Arrests May Have Found Victim”, Wilmington News Journal, April 3 2006.
- https://www.facebook.com/DSPNewsroom/posts/troopers-make-prostitution-arrest-at-seaford-area-massage-parlorseaford-de (2015)
- “Six arrested in prostitution investigation in Seaford,” WMDT47, April 22, 2016
- https://www.delawareonline.com/massage-parlor-crackdown (2017)
- http://www.wmdt.com/news/maryland/seaford-woman-facing-prostitution-charges (2017)
- http://www.wboc.com/story/38461251/two-arrested-following-seaford-prostitution-sting (2018)