Santa Clarita is a city in Los Angeles County, California with a population of approximately 211,000. Prostitution has been identified by law enforcement as a problem in the city, and residents and business owners have complained to law enforcement about prostitution. Reports of sexual assaults of prostituted women have also been documented.
In response to such concerns, police have targeted consumer-level demand for commercial sex. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Santa Clarita Valley Station officers have conducted street-level reverse stings in the community since 1993 which have garnered dozens of arrests of sex buyers.
In May, 2019 the Los Angeles Regional Human Trafficking Task Force, along with deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station, conducted a human trafficking operation at a Santa Clarita area hotel on May 21. Five male adults were arrested after responding to sexually suggestive ads placed on several internet sites. Each of the males agreed to meet undercover Sheriff’s deputies at a local hotel for the purposes of commercial sex.
- Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
- Santa Clarita Valley Station
- Los Angeles Regional Human Trafficking Task Force
Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Santa Clarita / Antelope Valley; 32 Men, 3 Women Arrested during Prostitution Sweep,” Los Angeles Times, November 20 1993.
Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- https://www.hometownstation.com/santa-clarita/human-trafficking-taskforce-arrest-seven-in-santa-clarita-prostitution-bust (2019)
- https://www.dailynews.com/2019/05/23/7-arrested-in-anti-prostitution-operation-in-the-valencia-area/ (2019)
Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “Santa Clarita / Antelope Valley; 14 Arrested during Prostitution Sweep,” Los Angeles Times, May 29 1993.
- “Sex for Sale in SCV?,” Santa Clarita Signal, September 10 2008.
- “Sheriff’s Department Says Letter Massages Facts, Anonymous Missive’s Claims That City’s Massage Businesses Breed Sex Slavery Unfounded, Officials Say,” Santa Clarita Signal, March 16 2010.
- “Crackdown on Massage Parlors, SCV Sheriff’s Station,” Santa Clarita Signal, March 22 2010.
- “Three Arrested on Prostitution Charges,” Santa Clarita Signal, March 24 2010.
- “Is This Massage-Gate, Right Here in Santa Clarita?,” Santa Clarita Signal, April 3 2010.
- “Our View: City Is Right to Take Look at Parlors,” Santa Clarita Signal, February 6 2011.
- “City Has New Rub for Massage Spots; Officials Announce Stricter Ordinance for Local Businesses,” Santa Clarita Signal, January 27 2011.
- https://www.facebook.com/signalscv/posts/15-arrested-in-prostitution-sting (2011)
- https://scvnews.com/prostitution-on-peachland-1-arrested-16-cited-in-raid-of-newhall-massage-parlors/ (2014)
- http://www.hometownstation.com/breaking-news/sex-sells-prostitution-or-online-dating-in-santa-clarita (2015)
- https://signalscv.com/2017/09/three-arrested-prostitution-raids-scv-massage-parlors/ (2017)
- https://signalscv.com/2018/07/santa-clarita-man-pleads-no-contest-to-human-trafficking-assault/ (2018)
- http://www.hometownstation.com/massage-sting-operation-nets-three-arrests-on-prostitution-charges-in-santa-clarita (2018)
- https://signalscv.com/2018/12/three-women-accused-of-prostitution-in-massage-business-raids/ (2018)
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area: