Rye Brook, NY
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Rye Brook is a village of approximately 9,500 residents located within the town of Rye and near Greenburgh in Westchester County, New York. Prostitution has been well-documented in the city and surrounding areas. For example, in February, 2014, it was announced that a widespread prostitution sting brought in connection with the Super Bowl netted at least 28 arrests in Westchester and Rockland counties. The arrests included seven who were accused with promoting prostitution, and at least 21 women who were accused of prostitution itself. Half of the arrests occurred in Rockland County, while the other half were taken into custody in Westchester County. The Super Bowl operation, carried out over six months, involved police departments in Greenburgh, Yonkers, White Plains, Rye Brook, New Rochelle and Clarkstown.
In an effort to reduce demand for prostituted women, local law enforcement have conducted web-based reverse stings. In January 2008, media outlets reported that “66 people had been arrested during a nine-month investigation into ads on Craigslist.com that offered sexual services at local hotels” and that “hotels in the town of Greenburgh, city of Rye, and villages of Rye Brook and Elmsford were used for the hookups between March and December 2007.” The identities of the individuals arrested were not released, but law enforcement stated that “the men snared in the roundup included medical professionals, business owners, real estate developers and civil servants.”
- Rye Brook Police Department
- Westchester County Sheriff’s Office
- Rye Police Department
- Greenburgh Police Department
- Elmsford Police Department
Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- “Task Forced Yields Prostitution Related Arrests”, Joint Press Release, Greenburgh, Rye, Rye Brook and Elmsford Police Departments, January 11 2008.
- “Johns Sting Nets DEP Officer”, New York Daily News, January 13 2008.
- “Online Hooker Ring Is Nailed”, New York Post, January 13 2008.
- “Local Prostitution Stomped Out; Numerous Arrests Made, over $21,000 Seized”, Rye Sound Shore Review, January 25 2008.
- https://westchester.news12.com/rye-brook-police-nab-13-in-prostitution-sting (2008)
- https://www.foxnews.com/story/cops-arrest-66-in-online-prostitution-sting (2015)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- https://abc7ny.com/archive/6718753/ (2009)
- https://longisland.news12.com/rye-brook-couple-facing-prostitution-charges (2009)
- https://dailyvoice.com/super-bowl-prostitution-sting-includes-westchester-arrests (2014)
- https://www.lohud.com/pre-super-bowl-prostitution-sting-nets-28-arrests-in-rockland-westchester-counties (2014)
- https://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview.com/police-arrest-woman-in-connection-to-hotel-parking-lot-dispute (2015)
Comments are closed.