Romeoville is a village of approximately 40,000 residents, located southwest of Chicago near Joliet in Will County, Illinois. Prostitution and sex trafficking are known to occur in the city, and have generated complaints to police from residents.
To reduce prostitution activity in the area, the Romeoville Police Department has stated that it conducts periodic web-based reverse stings. One such operation, conducted in October 2013, resulted in the arrest of five sex buyers. Although one of the johns, a local educator, had his name and other identifying information publicized by local media outlets, the remaining offenders’ identities (as well as the details of the operation itself) were not released. Two vehicles were reportedly seized in the reverse sting.
In April 2015, RPD officers announced the completion of a street-level reverse sting that netted 20 would-be sex buyers. Law enforcement did not disclose logistical details about the operation, but noted that the sting was staged in a location selected for its proximity to several local hotels and motels. All of the individuals arrested had their identities publicized in press. In March 2019, two men were arrested in a reverse sting conducted at a Romeoville hotel.
- Web-Based Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Joliet Teacher in Prostitution Sting”, Joliet Herald-News, October 16 2013.
- “Joliet West Teacher Placed on Leave During Investigation into Solicitation Charge”, Joliet Patch, October 17 2013.
- “Joliet West Teacher Arrested in Prostitution Sting”, ABC/WLS-TV 7, October 18 2013.
- https://www.theherald-news.com/2019/03/01/police-two-men-solicited-a-prostitute-at-romeoville-hotel (2019)
- Street-Level Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Police Blotter: Cops: Women Pimped 15-Year-Old”, Joliet Herald-News, March 5 2012.
- “Women Charged with Pimping, Child Exploitation”, Romeoville Patch, March 6 2013.
- “Two Indiana Women Charged with Promoting Juvenile Prostitution”, Chicago Tribune, March 9 2012.
- “Milwaukee Man Charged with Transporting a Minor from Wisconsin to Illinois to Engage in Prostitution”, Press Release, U.S. Attorney’s Office of the Northern District of Illinois, September 17 2013.
- “Prosecutors: Madison Teen Forced into Prostitution in Romeoville”, Chicago Tribune, September 17 2013.
- “Sex Trafficking Charge Filed Against Man Who Brought Teen to Romeoville Motel”, Romeoville Patch, September 17 2013.
- “Wisconsin Man Convicted of Bringing Teen to Romeoville to Work as Prostitute,” Joliet Herald-News, February 12 2016.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area: