Rome is a city in Oneida County, in upstate New York, and has a population of about 32,000. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of Oneida county. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market are sex trafficking, child endangerment, and violence committed against people involved in these transactions. Sex buyers living in the city have been documented. For example, in May 2014, a man from Rome was arrested and charged with with second-degree assault and a fourth-degree sex offense in a reverse sting in Maryland.
Consumer-level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies in their strategy for prevention and response. For example, in 2019, a man and woman were arrested by Rome police for prostitution at the boat launch on Muck Road. Officers were dispatched to the boat launch at 4 p.m. in response to a complaint of lewd behavior, and they found the vehicle with a 64-year-old that was later charged with public lewdness and third-degree patronizing a prostitute. His identity was publicly released.
- Rome Police Department
Arrest and Shaming of Sex Buyers:
- https://romesentinel.com/stories/pair-accused-of-lewdness-prostitution,73586 (2019)
- https://wibx950.com/two-rome-residents-facing-prostitution-charges/ (2019)
- http://rome.staging.communityq.com/stories/pair-accused-of-lewdness-prostitution,73586 (2019)
Background on prostitution and sex trafficking in the area:
- “Nine People Arrested in Sex Trafficking Ring”, NBC/WSTM-TV 3, November 28 2012.
- “Officials Discuss Utica Sex Trafficking Ring and Arrests, Believe There Are More Victims”, NBC/WSTM-TV 3, November 30 2012.
- “Police: Teen Victim Coerced into Sex Trafficking Ring Was Forced to Take Drugs”, ABC/WSYR-TV 9, November 30 2012.
- “‘I’m No Sex Offender,’ Man Says in Utica Sex Trafficking Case”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, June 24 2013.
- “3 Face Stiffer Federal Charges in Utica-Based Sex Trafficking Ring”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, July 17 2013.
- “Suspects in Utica Sex Trafficking Ring Now Face Federal Charges”, NBC/WSTM-TV 3, July 17 2013.
- “Feeling ‘Entrapped’, Man Sentenced for Sex with Teen”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, August 27 2013.
- “East Syracuse Man Convicted in 2003 of Killing Utica Prostitute Faces Heroin, Gun Charges”, ABC/WSYR-TV 9, December 4 2013.
- “Man Pleads to Patronizing Prostitute, But Not Sex Crime”, Utica Observer Dispatch, January 16 2014.
- https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-2014-01-17-mc-c-hanover-township-sugar-spice-prostitution-arr-20140117-story.html (2014)
- https://www.capitalgazette.com/cg2-arc-140604gn-gazpolice–bwi-hookers-20140602-story.html (2014)
- “Utica Woman Pleads Guilty to Sex Trafficking Charge”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, March 13 2014.
- “2nd Utica Woman Pleads Guilty to Child Sex-Trafficking”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, March 28 2014.
- “Utica Woman Charged with Sex Trafficking a Child”, CBS/WBNG-TV 12, March 28 2014.
- “Utica Woman Pleads Guilty to Child Sex Trafficking”, Oneida Daily Dispatch, March 30 2014.
- “Utica Man Pleads Guilty to Sex Trafficking”, Oneida Daily Dispatch, May 24 2014.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Utica Police Chief Has $10,000 in Home; Denies It Is Payment for Vice Protection”, New York Times, February 15 1958.
- “Jury to Decide Fate of Six Men”, Newburgh Evening News, April 12 1961.
- “Police News in Brief”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, February 1 2008.
- “7 Charged in Prostitution Sting”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, March 26 2010.
- “9 Charged in Prostitution Sting”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, April 28 2010.
- “Utica Prostitution Sting Results in Charges for 8 Women”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, July 19 2010.
- “State Police Say Sex Traffickers Forced Girl to Use Cocaine, Heroin before Seeing Clients”, Oneida Daily Dispatch, November 30 2012.
- “Lacking Manpower, Utica Police Dissolve Special Ops Unit”, Utica Observer-Dispatch, October 5 2013.
- “Five Women Arrested on Prostitution-Related Charges”, NBC/WKTV-TV 2, March 26 2014.
Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area: