|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Redlands is a city of approximately 69,000 residents, located between San Bernardino and Moreno Valley in San Bernardino County, California. Prostitution and sex trafficking have been identified by local residents and law enforcement as substantial problems in the area, including the serial murder of prostituted women in 1977, and the murder of another prostituted woman in 2013. To address problems arising from commercial sex, the Redlands Police Department has conducted a handful of reverse stings at city parks and within adult-oriented businesses. In one three-hour reverse operation in 2003, eight johns were arrested.
In April 2013, the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office announced a new policy targeting sex buyers. Dubbed the Stop-the-Johns Project, the initiative will document and publicize the names and photos of all individuals arrested and convicted of solicitation in the county. All johns, including those arrested in Redlands, will have their identities posted on the District Attorney’s website.
- Reverse Stings:
- The Stop-the-John Project’s Official Website
- “DA to Post Prostitution Solicitor Photos Online”, Victorville Daily Press, January 20 2013.
- “DA’s Stop-the-John Program to Shame Sex Solicitors”, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, April 2 2013.
- “Photos May Blunt Human Traffickers”, Inland News Today, April 2 2013.
- “SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY: DA Revealing Convicted ‘Johns’ Names”, Riverside Press-Enterprise, April 2 2013.
- “VIDEO: San Bernardino DA to Crack Down on Prostitution”, Riverside Press-Enterprise, April 2 2013.
- “San Bernardino Puts Mugshots of Prostitution ‘Johns’ on Website”, ABC/KABC-TV 7, April 3 2013.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Child Prostitution Workshop Set May 2 in Redlands”, San Bernardino Sun, April 19 2009.
- “Seminar Addresses Human Trafficking, Child Prostitution”, San Bernardino Sun, May 2 2009.
- “Redlands Girl Escapes from Possible Las Vegas Prostitution Plot”, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, September 7 2012.
- “District Attorney’s Film Sheds Light on Human Sex Trafficking in San Bernardino County”, San Bernardino Sun, January 17 2013.
- “Here’s More of the Plan to Combat Human Trafficking in S.B. County”, Riverside Press-Enterprise, January 18 2013.
- “District Attorney Steps Up Campaign Against Pimps and ‘Teenage $ex 4 $ale”, Redlands Patch, January 20 2013.
- “Human Trafficking Suspect ‘Monstah’ Arrested in Victorville; Prostitutes Included Five Females and Two Juveniles, Authorities Say”, Victorville Daily Press, July 25 2014.
- “Victorville Man, Suspected Human Trafficking Ringleader, Arrested”, San Bernardino Sun, July 25 2014.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Prostitution, Drug Arrests Made”, Redlands Daily Facts, November 1 2002.
- “Businesses Targeted in Sex Sting”, Redlands Daily Facts, May 13 2003.
- “Redlands Takes Aim at Prostitution Sites”, San Bernardino Sun, July 15 2003.
- “Redlands Massage Businesses Work Against Stigma of Prostitution”, San Bernardino Sun, July 28 2003.
- “Trial Date Set for Woman Accused in Prostitution Case”, Redlands Daily Facts, September 5 2003.
- “Woman Arrested, Massage Shop Cited by Police”, Redlands Daily Facts, December 5 2003.
- “LA Man Held on Warrants”, Redlands Daily Facts, April 14 2004.
- “Editorial: Johns Should Be Targets of Prostitution Fight”, Redlands Daily Facts, May 2 2011.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Mutilated Body Now Identified”, Gadsden Times, November 3 1977.
- “Sadistic Killer of 2 Women Hunted”, Los Angeles Times, November 3 1977.
- “Judge: Suspect in Redlands Motel Murder Will Face Trial”, San Bernardino Sun, September 25 2012.
- “Surveillance Video Released of Redlands Homicide Victim”, San Bernardino Sun, March 21 2013.
- “Father Says Slain Daughter, Found in an Orange Grove, Worked as a Prostitute”, NBC/KNBC-TV 4, February 28 2013.
- “INT: Suspect Held in Prostitute’s Slaying”, Inland News Today, October 30 2013.