Prichard is a city in Mobile County, Alabama with a population of approximately 27,000. The city lays adjacent to the north side of Mobile, as well as the unincorporated community of Eight Mile. Local law enforcement have reported problems with prostitution and the sexual exploitation of minors in the city, and residents have complained to police about commercial sex activities in some city neighborhoods.
In response to these complaints, the Prichard Police Department has conducted reverse sting operations and made several arrests. For example, in 2008 police conducted an operation using an undercover female officer as a decoy, which resulted in the arrest of eight sex buyers. In June 2014, a web-based operation resulted in the arrest of 10 men, and the seizure of one vehicle and cash that were expected to be forfeited.
- Prichard Police Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings and Shaming:
- “Prostitution Sting Nets 3 Alleged Johns”, Mobile Press-Register, December 3 2007.
- “McCants Arrest Part of Drug & Prostitution Sting”, CBS/WKRG-TV 5, March 31 2008.
- “Nine Nabbed in Prostitution Sting”, CBS/WKRG-TV 5, September 14 2008.
- “Prichard Cops Bust Johns”, Mobile Press-Register, September 14 2008.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets Six Arrests in Prichard; Police Operation Aims at Supply Side of City’s Sex Trade after Earlier Sting Targeting Customers”, Mobile Press-Register, September 22 2008.
- Web-Based Reverse Stings and Shaming:
- “Prichard Chief Targets Prostitution; Campaign to Rely Heavily on Shaming Hookers and Their Clients”, Mobile Register, April 8 1998.
- Auto Seizure:
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Woman Faces Rape Charge; Prichard Woman Accused of Complicity in Rape”, Mobile Register, November 10 2005.
- “Prichard Woman Accused of Complicity in 12-Year-Old’s Rape”, NBC/WSFA-TV 12, November 13 2005.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Suspect in Shooting Nabbed in Eight Mile; Kelvin Hale Is Charged with Murder in Connection with Attempted Robbery and Shooting of Ghana Native”, Ghana Web, August 9 2003.
- “Prichard Man Pleads Guilty in 2001 Murder”, Mobile Register, October 17 2003.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Prichard’s ‘Operation Spring Break’ Nets 20 Arrests”, Mobile Press-Register, April 27 2007.
- “PRICHARD: Police Net 5 in Prostitution Sting”, Mobile Press-Register, July 6 2008.
- “Prichard Prostitution Sting Nabs Five”, Mobile Press-Register, September 21 2008.