Perth Amboy is a city of approximately 52,000 residents, situated across the Raritan Bay from Staten Island near Edison in Middlesex County, New Jersey. Residents and local law enforcement have reported problems with prostitution in the city. In addition, at least two cases of the targeted murder of prostituted women have also been documented in Perth Amboy; in 1995, a prostituted woman was bludgeoned to death in a city alley by a john “during a dispute over money,” and in 2004, a prostituted woman died after being stabbed 42 times by a john “over a fee of less than $20.”
Among its efforts to curtail commercial sex sales, the Perth Amboy Police Department has conducted at least three reverse stings targeting johns. The stings, conducted between 1993 and 1996, employed undercover female officers who posed as decoy prostituted women along major city streets. As johns approached and solicited the women, they were arrested by police. It is unclear if the individuals arrested had their names released to the public.
- Perth Amboy Police Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “13 Men, Three Women Apprehended in Vice Operation”, Newark Star-Ledger, September 18 1993.
- “Perth Amboy Police Decoy Snares ‘Johns'”, Newark Star-Ledger, September 7 1994.
- “Prostitution Sting Snares 18 Men and 4 Women”, Newark Star-Ledger, March 26 1996.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “2 Sought for Information in Woman’s Killing”, Newark Star-Ledger, August 19 1993.
- “Arrest Made in Death of Keyport Woman”, Newark Star-Ledger, July 22 1995.
- “Perth Amboy Man Charged in Slaying”, Newark Star-Ledger, July 23 1995.
- “Man Denies Killing Suspected Prostitute”, Newark Star-Ledger, July 25 1995.
- “Cyclist Indicted for Murder”, Newark Star-Ledger, September 13 1995.
- “Jury Hears Two Versions of Beating Death”, Newark Star-Ledger, January 23 1998.
- “Man Guilty of Murder”, Newark Star-Ledger, January 24 1998.
- “Killer Gets Life as He Asks for Forgiveness”, Newark Star-Ledger, March 17 1998.
- “Jury Finds Man Guilty of Killing Prostitute; Manslaughter Verdict against Immigrant in P. Amboy Case”, Newark Star-Ledger, May 9 2006.
- “Man Found Guilty of Killing Prostitute in Perth Amboy”, Newark Star-Ledger, May 9 2006.
- “Manslaughter Verdict in Killing of Prostitute”, Newark Star-Ledger, May 9 2006.
- “Law & Order; Man Gets 20 Years for Fatal Stabbing”, Newark Star-Ledger, July 28 2006.
- “N.J. Supreme Court Rejects Perth Amboy Man’s Request to Have Slaying Conviction Overturned”, Newark Star-Ledger, July 19 2010.
- “Court Rejects Killer’s Bid to Overturn Conviction; Convict Says Threats by Cops Prompted Confession in Slaying of Prostitute in Perth Amboy”, Newark Star-Ledger, July 20 2010.
- “Perth Amboy Man Not Entitled to New Trial for Killing Prostitute, Court Rules”, Newark Star-Ledger, March 3 2014.
- “News; New Brunswick; Convicted Killer’s Appeal for New Trial Denied Again”, Newark Star-Ledger, March 4 2014.