|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Pascagoula is a city of about 22,000 residents, situated in Mississippi’s Jackson County along the Gulf Coast near Gulfport and Biloxi. Prostitution has been identified by police and others as a local concern, and there have been cases of sex trafficking in the area. A serial killer of prostituted women has also operated in the city.
The Pascagoula Police Department has conducted street-level reverse stings using undercover officers in areas known for prostitution, in an effort to reduce consumer-level demand. These operations have been conducted since at least 1999, if not earlier. Arrested sex buyers have had their identities reported in the media, and may face fines and/or potential jail time.
- Pascagoula Police Department
Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “16 Men Charged with Prostitution during Sting, Most Pay Fines,” Biloxi Sun Herald, February 28 1999.
- “Prostitution Sting in Pascagoula Nabs 9 Men,” Biloxi Sun Herald, April 11 2008.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets 9 Arrests,” Pascagoula Mississippi Press, April 12 2008.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets 9 Arrests, Undercover Officers Were Bait,” Biloxi Sun Herald, April 12 2008.
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Police Say Mom Tried to Sell Daughter for Sex,” Biloxi Sun Herald, June 16 1995.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Off-Duty Pascagoula Policeman Propositioned at Drive-Thru,” Pascagoula Mississippi Press, June 26 2007.
- “Drug & Prostitution Sting in Pascagoula,” CBS/WKRG-TV 5, March 17 2008.
- “Good Direction for the Police, Our Opinion,” Pascagoula Mississippi Press, March 19 2008.
- “Hearing Seeks to Keep Rooster’s Sports Bar Closed,” Pascagoula Mississippi Press, August 18 2009.
- “17 Arrested in Craig’s List Prostitution Bust,” Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal, November 8 2009.
- “Two Children Rescued, 19 Pimps Arrested in Mississippi Sex Trafficking Bust — Five Others Picked up in Moss Point, Two in Jackson County,” Biloxi Sun Herald, June 23 2014.
- “Two Juveniles Recovered in Mississippi Operation Targeting Commercial Child Sex Trafficking,” Press Release, Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Jackson Division, June 23 2014.
- “Gulf Coast Cracks down on Human Trafficking,” FOX/WXXV-TV 25, July 17 2014.
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Pascagoula Cold Case Heats Up,” Pascagoula Mississippi Press, January 11 2013.
- “Former Pascagoula Prostitutes Testify of Escapes from Convicted Serial Killer Samuel Little,” Pascagoula Mississippi Press, September 4 2014.
- “Serial Killer Samuel Little, a Suspect in Pascagoula Cold Case Murder, to Be Sentenced Today,” Pascagoula Mississippi Press, September 25 2014.