Parkland is a census-designated place of approximately 36,000 residents, located just south of Tacoma in Pierce County, Washington. Prostitution is a longstanding problem for the city and surrounding area, with known cases of serial killers and serial rapists targeting prostituted women – as well as the more common contributions to assaults, rapes, drug traffiking, and other forms of crime and community degredation. The Pierce County Sheriff’s Office periodically conducts street-level reverse stings in Parkland, often in partnership with the Tacoma Police Department. During these operations, undercover female officers and sheriff’s deputies will pose as prostituted women along Parkland’s major roads and thoroughfares. As men approach and solicit the women, they are arrested by a backup team. The names and identities of those arrested are not typically released by local law enforcement. The arrested johns can potentially be asked to attend the Tacoma/Pierce County/Lakewood john school.
- Reverse Stings:
- “Parkland: Prostitution ‘Sting’ Operations Snare Nine Women, 17 Men”, Tacoma News Tribune, July 17 2005.
- “Parkland-Spanaway: Deputies Make 29 Arrests in Prostitution Sting”, Tacoma News Tribune, August 15 2005.
- “Gotcha! Five Men Snared in Prostitution ‘Sting'”, Tacoma News Tribune, February 10 2006.
- “Tacoma: 29 Men Arrested Near Parkland in Prostitution Crackdown”, Tacoma News Tribune, June 16 2006.
- “Tacoma: 33 People Caught in Crackdown on Prostitution, Soliciting”, Tacoma News Tribune, October 28 2006.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Parkland Man: Sado-Masochistic Sex with Prostitutes Was Consensual”, Tacoma News Tribune, August 25 1998.
- “Man Gets 237 Years for Raping Prostitutes; Parkland Resident Had Been Found Guilty of Attacking 5 Women”, Tacoma News Tribune, October 6 1998.
- “Serial Killer Task Force’s Eyes Turn West”, Spokane Spokesman-Review, October 24 1998.
- “Woman’s Death Tied to Serial Killer; Detectives See Similarities in Spokane Serial Murders and 2 Women Found Shot in County”, Tacoma News Tribune, October 30 1998.
- “Now, Prostitutes Alerted About Dangerous Johns”, Tacoma News Tribune, November 1 2000.
- “Rapist’s Sentence Reduced to 175-Year Term”, Tacoma News Tribune, December 4 2001.
- “Targeting a Criminal Empire Based on Sex”, Tacoma News Tribune, June 4 2008.
- “‘Crazy’ Soldier Sought in Rape of Two Women”, Tacoma News Tribune, January 10 2009.
- “3 Men Avoid Jail Time in Strip-Club Prostitution Case”, Tacoma News-Tribune, July 28 2010.