|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Paramus, located in New Jersey near Paterson and Hackensack, is a suburb of New York City and has a population of roughly 26,000. Prostitution has been identified as a problem in the city, particularly indoor operations using storefront businesses, such as massage parlors. Sex trafficking of minors has also been documented locally.
In an effort to reduce prostitution, local law enforcement have conducted both street-level and web-based reverse stings. In 2004, media outlets reported that Bergen County Sheriff’s Office deputies had recently completed stings across the county targeting both sex buyers and prostituted persons. The stings included operations staged in Paramus.
In 2013, an adult man was arrested in the city after corresponding online and arranging to meet with what he thought was a 15-year-old female (but was, in fact, a law enforcement officer working undercover) to “have sex with him in exchange for money.” The man’s name and arrest photo were released to the public.
- Paramus Police Department
- Bergen County Sheriff’s Office
Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- “Rochelle Park Man Charged with Luring, Attempted Sex Assault in Internet Sting,” Bergen County Record, August 12 2013.
- “Rochelle Park Man Indicted for Allegedly Seeking Sex with Minors Online,” Newark Star-Ledger, December 10 2014.
Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “IRS: Prostitutes’ Millions Laundered in N.J.,” Bergen County Record, July 24 1996.
- “Massage Parlor Bust Results in Five Arrests,” Bergen County Record, March 30 2002.
- “Alleged Paramus Brothel Busted, Rented House Used as Base, Cops Say,” Bergen County Record, March 3 2005.
- “Cops: Brothel Bust Yields Videos of Clients; Paramus Police Chief Warns Such Customers of Potential That They Could Be Blackmailed,” Newark Star-Ledger, March 3 2005.
- “Police Break up Alleged Prostitution Ring in Paramus,” Hasbrouck Heights Patch, January 31 2011.
- “Bergen County Prostitution Sweep Leads to 27 Arrests, $27k in Seizures,” Newark Star-Ledger, April 2 2012.
- “Sex Sting Found No Human Trafficking,” Bergen County Record, April 4 2012.
- https://www.nj.com/bergen/police_make_prostitution_bust_at_paramus_hotel (2013)
- “Prostitution in Paramus,” Paramus Post, January 11 2013.
- “Paramus Police Discover Prostitution in Paramus,” Paramus Post, January 15 2013.
- “Paramus Police Discover Male Prostitute,” Paramus Post, January 16 2013.
- “Paramus Police Make Prostitution Arrest,” Paramus Post, August 28 2014.
- “Paramus Police Say Neighbors Help Shut down a Brothel,” Newark Star-Ledger, August 28 2014.
- https://www.nj.com/bergen/ny_man_pulled_over_in_paramus_charged_with_sex_trafficking_of_girl_16 (2014)
- “New York Man Indicted for Allegedly Operating a Brothel in Paramus,” Bergen County Record, December 19 2014.