|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Palatine is a village in Cook County, Illinois, with a population of approximately 68,000. It is a northwestern residential suburb of Chicago. The county has experienced a wide range of problems associated with commercial sex, including child sex trafficking and homicides of both those being sold for sexual access and those who purchase them. Within Palatine, prostitution activity has been well-documented, and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies, and resulting actions to combat the sex trade in local residences, storefront businesses, and hotels. For example, in October, 2009, an Arlington Heights police officer — part of a task force investigating prostitution ads on Craigslist — arrested two women after they allegedly agreed to perform a sex act for $200. The police responded to an ad which led to a meeting with a woman at a hotel near Northwest Highway near Route 53 in Palatine. The woman was charged with felony pandering after she was discovered to be a person posting the Craigslist ads and vetting customers that responded to the ads. A second woman was charged with prostitution.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. Throughout the county, the Cook County Sheriff’s Office has supported many local communities in conducting reverse stings. In the city of Palatine, a law enforcement respondent to the 2021 National Assessment Survey reported that street-level reverse stings have been implemented in the city since 2021, and will likely average one per year or less.
- Palatine Police Department
National Assessment Survey – 2021
Background on Local Sex Trafficking, Prostitution:
- https://www.chicagotribune.com/police raid Palatine apartment make arrest for prostitution (1988)
- https://www.arlingtoncardinal.com/craigslist-ads-lead-to-prostitution-arrest-at-palatine-hotel/ (2009)
- https://patch.com/illinois/palatine/regional-police-report-house-of-prostitution-shut-down (2013)
- https://patch.com/ex-palatine-resident-gets-45-years-pimping-teens (2018)
- https://palatine.il.us/DocumentCenter/Rental-Dwelling-Operating-Licensing-Application-Packet (2022)
Background on Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation Throughout the County:
- “A Child of the Streets Finds Better Road”, Chicago Tribune, May 22 1985.
- “Woman Lured Girl for Prostitution”, Chicago Tribune, June 22 2006.
- “Internet Escort Bust Nets 3 Girls; Cops Cracking Down on Web Get Surprise– Youngest Suspect 14”, Chicago Tribune, January 12 2007.
- “Cops Uncover Global Trafficking of Women”, Chicago Tribune, October 17 2009.
- “State Awaits New Sex Trafficking Law”, Chicago Tribune, June 24 2010.
- “Children Rescued from Alleged Prostitution Ring”, ABC/KGO-TV 7, November 8 2010.
- “CHICAGO”, Chicago Tribune, July 13 2011.
- “9 Accused of Pimping Girls”, Chicago Tribune, August 25 2011.
- “Chicago Police Officer Were Part of Human Traffic on the Streets”, Chicago Tribune, August 27 2011.
- “Women Accused of Pimping Teen”, Chicago Tribune, September 12 2011.
- “Tips Offered to Help ID Human Trafficking”, Chicago Tribune, February 23 2012.
- “Illinois Legislation Takes on Sex Trafficking, But Dangers Remain”, Chicago Reporter, April 6 2012.
- “Task Force Targets Child Traffickers”, Chicago Tribune, May 14 2012.
- “Bonds Set in Prostitution Arrests of Wisconsin Women”, Chicago Tribune, April 13 2013.
- “Suburban Man Accused of Forcing Girl into Prostitution”, CW/WGN-TV 9, June 2 2013.
- “Cook County Court Clears Sex Trafficking Victim of Prostitution Record”, Chicago Tribune, August 23 2013.
- “Three Plead Guilty to Forcing Women into Prostitution; Trio Targeted Poor or Homeless Women, Hooked Them on Drugs”, NBC/WMAQ-TV 5, July 18 2014.
- “Man Accused of Promoting Prostitution of a Minor after Undercover Sting,” Chicago Tribune, January 10 2016.
Background on Prostitution Throughout the County:
- “Program Seeks to Help City’s Prostitutes”, Chicago Tribune, August 7 2003.
- “Prostitution Arrests Jump 4.5 Percent”, Chicago Tribune, March 20 2009.
- “Prostitution Law Overhaul Pushed; Advocates Target Customers, Seek Help From Women”, Chicago Tribune, September 17 2009.
- “Cook Co. Cracking Down on Prostitution Clientele”, ABC/KGO-TV 7, August 30 2010.
- “Who’s a Victim? More Law Enforcers Treating Homegrown Prostitution as Human Sex Trafficking”, Washington Post, September 2 2013.
- “Experts Increasingly Apply ‘Trafficking’ Label to Prostitution”, Champaign-Urbana News Gazette, September 22 2013.
- “Cook County Establishes Diversion Program for Prostitution Defendants,” Chicago Daily Herald, May 29 2015.
- “West Side Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution at Schiller Park Hotel,” Chicago Tribune, February 21 2016.
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the County:
- “Convictions of Four Men Thrown Out in 1994 Prostitute Murder”, Chicago Sun-Times, November 16 2011.
Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation (CASE) Research on Demand in the County: