|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Oviedo is a city in Seminole County, Florida that has a population of roughly 40,000 residents. It is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford Metropolitan Statistical Area. Instances of prostitution have been documented in the city and in unincorporated areas of Seminole County for decades.
Initiatives focused on combatting the demand for commercial sex and sex trafficking have also occurred in the city, such as street-level reverse stings. For example, in 2011, in a joint operation by the Sanford Police Department and the Oviedo Police Department, targeting individuals seeking to purchase sex, seven male sex buyers were arrested. Police departments from Sanford and Oviedo organized the sting in response to the increasing number of resident complaints and prostitution-related arrested made in year of 2011. According to reports, the city of Sanford made over 400 prostitution arrests in 2011 alone.
Loss of employment is a consequence of buying sex that has occurred within the city. For example, in 1996, a Republican lawmaker from Oviedo was arrested for solicitation of prostitution after he was found in his car engaging in sex acts with a prostituted woman. According to reports, Oviedo police were interesting in pursuing leads on two women known to be engaging in prostitution, but instead led them to the arrest of the lawmaker. The sex buyer also admitted to purchasing commercial sex on multiple prior occasions. The identity of the arrested offender was included in reports from local news sources. As a result of his arrest, he resigned from his position in February of 1996 and in April of 1996 was sentenced to one year of probation, 60 hours of community service, and counseling. In 2015, the dean of Hagerty High School was arrested on charges of soliciting prostitution. According to the Seminole County Public Schools, as a result of the sex buyer’s arrest, he was placed on paid administrative leave. The offender was arrested by the Orlando Police Department after police say he attempted to solicit sex from a prostituted woman online, who was really an undercover officer. An SCPS official said that officials were contacted about the former dean’s arrest the following morning. According to court records, the offender was charged with enter/remaining in place for prostitution and prostitution or lewdness. The identity of the arrested offender was included in reports from local news sources. The man had started at Hagerty High School in June 2005, became teacher in July 2005 and became dean in February 2014. He was also a football coach at Hagerty for eight years and a wrestling coach for seven years. There are no public reports of his termination, but as of 2021 he was no longer employed at the school.
Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- https://www.wesh.com/article/sex-offender-faces-prostitution-charges (2013)
- https://www.wftv.com/seminole-county-teacher-accused-of-having-sex-with-girl-at-school-multiple-times (2017)
Sex Buyer Arrest, Loss of Employment from Arrest and Shaming:
- https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1996/03/01/lawmaker-caught-with-prostitute/ (1996)
- https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1996-03-08-9603060710-story.html (1996)
- https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19960603-1996-06-03-9606030151-story.html (1996)
- https://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/24/us/legislator-s-departure-in-sex-case-unsettles-christian-faction.html (1996)
- Ex-lawmaker sentenced in prostitution case (1996)
- https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-william-gierke-soliciting-prostitution-20150212-story.html (2015)
- https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2015/02/13/hagerty-high-school-dean-arrested-on-soliciting-prostitution-charges/ (2015)
- https://www.wftv.com/news/local/details-released-prostitution-bust-involving-hager/ (2015)
- https://www.wesh.com/article/hagerty-high-school-dean-charged-with-soliciting-a-prostitute (2015)
- https://www.chicagotribune.com/os-prostitution-arrests-hagerty-dean (2015)