|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Ontario is a city of approximately 178,000 residents, located in southwest San Bernardino County near Fontana and Pomona, California. The Ontario Police Department has conducted reverse stings in the area, including ones at a major motel chain on North Vineyard Avenue and a truck stop near Interstates 10 and 15, a crossroads for overnight truckers. The truck stop has generated complaints to police about prostitution. In a six-hour span on August 9, 2010, police arrested a dozen male sex buyers at the unnamed motel.
In October 2018, ten men were arrested during a web-based reverse sting at an Ontario hotel. The operation used undercover officers posing as prostituted women through online advertisements. The officers were contacted and solicited by the men, who were arrested when they arrived at the location in the 3500 block of Inland Empire Boulevard, according to a news release about the sex buyer operation conducted by the San Bernardino County Human Trafficking Task Force. They were charged with solicitation of prostitution. Those arrested were not identified in the release. The task force includes investigators from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office, San Bernardino Police Department, Ontario Police Department, California State Parole, Office of Homeland Security, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It was formed to suppress human trafficking and prostitution.
Loss of employment is another consequence of buying sex that has occurred within the city. For example, in October 2020, the CEO of Haliburton International Foods, a company based in Ontario, faced multiple felony and misdemeanor charges for soliciting prostitution of a minor. The Newport Beach resident resigned as the company’s chief executive. The sex buyer was arrested and charged the prior month by the Orange County District Attorney’s Office with engaging in the prostitution of two teenagers. He faced six felony counts associated with unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor and two misdemeanor charges for soliciting prostitution of a minor. If convicted on all counts, the man would face a maximum sentence of eight years in state prison and almost two years in county jail.
- Ontario Police Department
- San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department
- San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office
- San Bernardino Police Department
- California State Parole
- Office of Homeland Security
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Haliburton International Foods
Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Twenty Arrested in Prostitution Sting”, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, September 15 2002.
- “Prostitution Sting Turns Up Surprises”, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, May 13 2005.
- “Ontario Busts 27 in Prostitution Sting”, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, August 2 2005.
- “41 Nabbed in Prostitution Sting”, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, May 27 2006.
- “Ontario Cops Keep Heat on Prostitution”, Crime Voice, August 16 2010.
- “Prostitution Sting Nabs 6”, Brantford Expositor, October 1 2010.
- “Court Upholds Firing of Police Officer in Solicitation Case”, Metropolitan News-Enterprise, August 1 2011.
Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- https://www.dailybulletin.com/ontario-man-gets-jail-time-probation-in-prostitution-sting-conviction (2018)
- https://www.dailybulletin.com/10-men-arrested-in-ontario-undercover-operation-aimed-at-prostitution (2018)
- https://www.pe.com/10-men-arrested-in-ontario-undercover-operation-aimed-at-prostitution (2018)
Sex Buyer Fired or Resigned Due to Arrest:
- https://ktla.com/news/local-news/haliburton-international-foods-ceo-charged-for-engaging-in-child-prostitution-ocda (2020)
- https://www.latimes.com/california/story/newport-beach-ceo-steps-down-from-company-after-being-charged-with-child-prostitution (2020)
Auto Seizure and Cameras:
- “Car Seizure for Prostitution, Drugs and Street Racing to Be Reviewed”, San Bernardino Sun, August 16 2006.
Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “Prostitution Sting Comes Up Short”, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, March 24 2006.
- “Ontario Man Charged with Pimping 15-Year-Old Girl on the Internet”, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, June 1 2006.
- “Ontario’s Holt Boulevard: Hotbed for Young Girl Prostitutes”, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, January 10 2009.
- “Child Prostitution Thrives on Ontario’s Holt Boulevard”, Redlands Daily Facts, January 11 2009.
- “Authorities: Child Prostitution Rampant in California County”, FOX News, January 12 2009.
- “Ovitt Promises to Attack Child Prostitution”, San Bernardino Sun, January 13 2009.
- “SB County DA Pitches Special Center to Help Child Prostitutes”, San Bernardino Sun, January 27 2009.
- “Nationwide Child Prostitution Sting Reaches into Ontario”, San Bernardino Sun, February 23 2009.
- “Alleged Pimp Faces Life; Ontario Man Is Accused of Raping, Torturing Two”, San Jose Mercury-News, April 2 2011.
- “Human Trafficking Suspect ‘Monstah’ Arrested in Victorville; Prostitutes Included Five Females and Two Juveniles, Authorities Say”, Victorville Daily Press, July 25 2014.
- “Victorville Man, Suspected Human Trafficking Ringleader, Arrested”, San Bernardino Sun, July 25 2014.
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Man Testifies Against Alleged Co-Conspirators in Killing of Ontario Prostitute”, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, October 27 2009.
- “Defendants’ Gang Ties Examined in Trial for Prostitute’s Killing”, San Jose Mercury News, February 10 2011.
- “Pomona Men Convicted of Murder for Prostitute’s Slaying”, Inside SoCal, February 22 2011.
- “Prostitute’s Killer Gets 30 Years to Life in Prison for 1990 Ontario Murder,” Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, January 11 2016.