Naugatuck is a town in New Haven County, Connecticut with a population of roughly 32,000. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities. For example, in October, 2019, police arrested three women on prostitution charges after executing a search warrant at a New Haven Road massage parlor in Naugatuck, where patrons were allegedly paying for sex. Police charged a 52-year-old Hartford woman with permitting prostitution and second-degree promoting prostitution. Police also charged two Flushing, N.Y. women, aged 50 and 44, with prostitution and conspiracy to commit prostitution. Such activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses.
Consumer-level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies in their strategy for prevention and response. The Naugatuck Police Department has conducted at least one web-based reverse sting. In April 2010, NPD officers placed a decoy advertisement to a website known for commercial sex activity and arranged to meet the individuals who responded to the listing. At least 18 johns were intercepted as a result. One of the offenders– a public official– had his name publicized in local media outlets.
- Naugatuck Police Department
Web-Based Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Cops Go Undercover Online; Police Catching Prostitutes and ‘Johns’ with Craigslist Stings,” Waterbury Republican-American, May 2 2010.
- “Police Going Undercover Online; Craigslist Stings Net 20 Arrests,” Waterbury Republican-American, May 2 2010.
- “Parking Authority Director Charged with Soliciting Prostitution,” Connecticut Post, May 3 2010.
- “AG Targets Craigslist Sex Ads,” Willimantic Chronicle, May 4 2010.
- “Blumenthal Subpoenas Craigslist,” Waterbury Republican-American, May 4 2010.
- “Blumenthal Ups Pressure on Craigslist over Prostitution,” Waterbury Republican-American, May 4 2010.
- “Derby Parking Official in Tight Spot after Arrest,” New Haven Register, May 4 2010.
- “Official Busted in Prostitute Sting Still on the Job,” Connecticut Post, May 15 2010.
Background on Local Prostitution:
- https://www.wfsb.com/news/pd-arrested-for-prostitution-at-naugatuck-massage-parlor (2019)
- https://fox61.com/2019/10/24/naugatuck-massage-parlor-closed-for-prostitution/ (2019)
- https://patch.com/connecticut/naugatuck/3-charged-prostitution-naugatuck-massage-parlor-police (2019)
- https://www.mycitizensnews.com/news/2019/10/police-arrest-women-on-prostitution-charges/ (2019)