Nacogdoches is a city of approximately 33,840 residents, located in East Texas’s Nacogdoches County, near Lufkin.
In late 2014, the community drew significant attention after it was reported that two local residents had sexually exploited a 14-year-old girl, and attempted to bribe her with $2,000 cash in exchange for not reporting the acts to law enforcement. The girl was said to have been trafficked by her mother, who “allegedly arranged for [a 61-year-old Nacogdoches resident] to have sex with [her daughter] at a Pearl Street apartment in August 2014.” In October of that year, the victim’s mother contacted police indicating that the man had begun contacting her family offering money in exchange for not reporting the sexual acts to police. The victim’s family then worked with law enforcement to conduct a series of recorded telephone calls with the man, during which he referred to both the assault and subsequent bribery. As of early 2015, the case remains pending, although early reports stated the man was charged with prostitution, sexual assault of a child, tampering with a witness, and trafficking of a person under 18 years of age.
In addition to the aforementioned case, the Nacogdoches Police Department has conducted at least one traditional reverse sting to arrest sex buyers. In September 2005, NPD officers initiated an investigation that resulted in the arrest of nine men on charges of solicitation. All of the arrestees’ names, ages, and addresses were publicized in local media outlets.
- Nacogdoches Police Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Undercover Operation Nets 9 Arrests for Prostitution,” Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel, September 5 2005.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “NPD: Two Arrested for Prostitution after Runaway Says She Was Paid for Sex,” Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel, October 8 2014.
- “Police Say Pair Paid Teen for Sex,” Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel, October 8 2014.
- “Sexual Assault Suspect Allegedly Attempts to Bribe Victim,” Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel, October 10 2014.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Officers Arrest Women for Prostitution,” Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel, March 12 2005.
- https://www.news-journal.com/news/police/prostitution-human-trafficking-sting-nets-nacogdoches-arrests/article_4f6c4a65-4157-52be-bfbe-64fcc3370ad7.html (2017)
- https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/texas/articles/2017-08-13/10-arrested-in-nacogdoches-vice-sting-operation (2017)