Mount Vernon, VA
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Mount Vernon is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Fairfax County, Virginia. Its population was approximately 13,500 at the 2020 census. Prostitution and sex trafficking are well-documented problems in many areas of county, including the city of Mount Vernon. For example, in 2012, federal law enforcement agencies charged five alleged members of a Fairfax County street gang with running a prostitution and sex trafficking ring that recruited high school girls and threatened them with violence if they didn’t cooperate. The FBI and local police have found national gangs to have diversified their crime portfolios, and have systematically expanded from tradition drug trafficking to prostitution and sex trafficking. To combat consumer-level demand for commercial sex that drive both of those crime types, the Mount Vernon Police Department and the Fairfax County Police Departments have conducted reverse stings and disclosed the identities of the arrested sex buyers. Police have also sent “dear john” letters to the homes of arrestees.
- Mt. Vernon Police Department
- Fairfax County Police Department
Background on Local Prostitution and Sex Trafficking:
- https://www.washingtonpost.com/fbi-probe-hits-massage-parlors-here/ (1978)
- http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/schoolyard-prostitution-ring/ (2012)
Background on Sex Trafficking, Child Sexual Exploitation, Related CSAM Within the County:
- “Gang Enters New Territory with Sex Trafficking”, NPR, November 14 2011.
- “Feds Charge Fairfax Gang with Prostituting High School Girls”, Lorton Patch, March 30 2012.
- “Police Bust Prostitution Ring”, ABC/WJLA-TV 7, January 11 2013.
- “Feds Recast Child Prostitutes as Victims, Not Criminals”, National Public Radio, October 24 2013.
- http://www.fallschurchva.gov/Archive/ViewFile/Item/651 (2013)
- https://www.ibtimes.com/lawyer-who-lured-school-girls-money-drugs-tiffany-bags-charged-sex-trafficking (2020)
- https://www.justice.gov/virginia-attorney-charged-sex-trafficking-minors-and-production-child-pornography (2021)
Background on Prostitution, Related Violence, Other Crimes in the Area:
- “Prostitution Raid Nets 2 Women, 3 Men”, Washington Times, July 6 1993.
- “Two Get Prison Terms for Child Prostitution Scheme”, Daily Press (Virginia), April 16 1995.
- http://www.washingtonpost.com/prostitute-sexually-assaulted-robbed-in-hotel-room-invasion (2013)
- http://murderpedia.org/www.fbi.gov/press-releases (2010)
- https://www.nbcwashington.com/Falls-Church-Man-Arrested-for-Sex-Trafficking-of-Runaway-Young-Girl (2014)
Comments are closed.