Morris Township, NJ
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Morris Township is a township of just over 22,000 residents, located in south-central New Jersey in Morris County. The township surrounds but does not include the city of Morristown.
Although prostitution activity in the community appears to be limited, a significant effort to address underlying demand for prostitution was undertaken in 1998. After a seven-month investigation that was initiated because of neighbors’ complaints — including reports that men demanding massages were knocking on residents’ doors — a law enforcement team led by the Morris County Prosecutor’s office raided a local home and determined it to be a brothel. They then arrested and charged four women with prostitution and three men with soliciting prostitution. Once the property had been emptied, detectives then set up a reverse sting operation from within the mansion, and arrested and charged another 12 men with soliciting prostitution, officials said. Following their arrests, the men’s names were publicized by some press outlets.
- Morris Township Police Department
- Business-Based Reverse Sting with Shaming:
- “Prostitution Ring Busted in Well-off East Coast Suburb,” Chicago Tribune, August 11 1998.
- “20 Arrested in Raid on Alleged Bordello in N.J.,” Watertown Daily Times, August 12 1998.
- “Alleged Madam Arrested; Charged with Using $1.5-Million New Jersey Home as Brothel,” Newsday, August 12 1998.
- “Cops Say Woman Ran Brothel in Mansion,” Press of Atlantic City, August 12 1998.
- “Hamlet Jolted by Charges that Woman Ran Brothel,” New York Times, August 12 1998.
- “Society Figure Faces Prostitution Charges,” Trenton Times, August 12 1998.
- “Alleged Madam Breaks Silence, Says She Feels Sorry for 15 Male Suspects,” Bergen County Record, August 13 1998.
- “Brothel Case Yields ‘Black Book” Morris Prosecutor Says Computer List of Possible Customers Includes Hundreds of Names,” Newark Star-Ledger, August 13 1998.
- “PC Key to List of Johns; Cops,” New York Daily News, August 14 1998.
- “There’s No Delight in the Thought of 20 Ruined Lives,” Bergen County Record, August 14 1998.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “‘Mansion Madam’ Pleads Guilty, Gets Probation,” Jersey City Journal, May 12 1999.
- “Prosecutor Seeks Cash from Suspected Prostitution Parlor; $800,000 Forfeiture Action Targets Proceeds from Morris Township Massage Operation,” Newark Star-Ledger, August 22 2006.
- https://patch.com/new-jersey/morristown/6-arrested-morris-co-hotel-prostitution-bust-pd (2019)
Comments are closed.