|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Milford is a city of approximately 28,000 residents, located in Worcester County in south central Massachusetts. In addition to numerous complaints about indoor prostitution in the community, local law enforcement have reported an increase in web-based prostitution sales over the past decade. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking. Prostitution related violence – including rape – has also occurred within the city.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. The Milford Police Department has conducted reverse stings, including one street-level operation in 2005, and a second web-based operation in 2006. The latter operation, which utilized an undercover female state trooper as a decoy, resulted in the arrest of five male sex buyers. The men’s names and other identifying information were released by local news outlets.
Street-Level Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “Milford Police Grab 5 in Web Sex Sting, Out-of-Towners Lured by Site Posting,” Worcester Telegram & Gazette, January 20 2006.
- “Silly Sting,” Milford Daily News, January 20 2006.
- “Five Men Charged After Police Use Craigslist in Sex-For-Hire Sting”, Boston Globe, January 21 2006.
- “Newton City Worker Quits After Sex Sting in Milford”, Boston Globe, February 2 2006.
Background on Sex Trafficking, Prostitution in the Area:
- “Police: Call Girl Arrested, Cop Posed as John; Milford,” Milford Daily News, March 14 2007.
- “Milford Man Linked to Ring, Teens Allegedly in Prostitution,” Worcester Telegram & Gazette, September 13 2007.
- “Woman Charged with Prostitution at Milford Hotel,” Milford Daily News, November 3 2009.
- “Milford: Two Arraigned on Prostitution Charges; One Arrested on the Same Charge in 2007,” Milford Daily News, March 22 2013.
- “Police Log; Two Women Arrested on Prostitution Warrants,” Milford Daily News, September 27 2013.
- “Milford: Police Arrest Woman on Prostitution Charges,” Milford Daily News, May 1 2014.
- https://www.milforddailynews.com/police-accuse-milford-ma-man-forcing-woman-have-sex-cash-prostitution (2022)
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area: