|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Mauldin is a city of approximately 25,000 residents located in northwestern South Carolina’s Greenville County near Greenville. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city, surrounding communities, and other areas of the county. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates result in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more severe crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is the forced prostitution of minors, which has been documented in the community for at least a decade.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has been targeted by local law enforcement agencies. On at least one occasion, local law enforcement has arrested and disclosed the identities of individuals attempting to purchase sex. In July 2012, the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office conducted an investigation at a Mauldin motel that resulted in the arrests of five individuals. It is unclear if formal “reverse” sting tactics were used during the operation; however, among those arrested were two men, each of whom was reportedly charged with “loitering to engage in prostitution.” All five arrestees’ identities and mugshots were released to the press in an effort to deter other would-be offenders.
Sex Buyer Arrests, Identity Disclosure:
- “Five Arrested on Drug, Prostitution Charges; Two Men and Three Women Face Charges after Their Arrest at a Local Motel,” Mauldin Patch, July 23 2012.
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Police: Woman Trades Girl For Drugs,” CBS/WSPA-TV 7, February 3 2011.
- “Mauldin Woman Faces Charge of Trading Teen for Drugs,” Greenville News, February 4 2011.
- “SC Woman Accused of Prostituting Daughter,” Charleston Post and Courier, February 4 2011.
- “SC Woman Accused of Prostituting Daughter,” Spartanburg Herald-Journal, February 4 2011.
- “Mauldin Woman Charged with Prostituting Teen for Drugs,” Greenville News, February 5 2011.
- “Woman Arrested in Sex-Drugs Case,” The State (Columbia, S.C.), February 5 2011.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Drug Sting Arrests,” Greenville News, July 21 2004.
- “3 Arrested in Mauldin Prostitution Sting,” Greenville News, January 9 2009.
- “Mauldin Sting Nets Three Arrests,” Greenville News, January 14 2009.
- “Mauldin Crime Report: Prostitution, Assaults, Burglaries,” Mauldin Patch, October 14 2013.