|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Madison is a city of approximately 60,000 residents located in northern Alabama, near Huntsville, Decatur, and Athens. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city, surrounding communities, and in other areas of the county. This activity, and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates result in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses.
In February 2014, the Madison Police Department arrested five men for soliciting prostitution during a web-based reverse sting. The investigation began as a result of complaints about prostitution at Madison motels. Police had learned social media and chat rooms were being utilized for arranging prostitution in their city. To curb this activity, police set up a web-based reverse sting. In this sting, an undercover female police officer created an online ad asking for money in exchange for sex acts. Once the buyers arrived at the local hotel, they were arrested. The names, ages, and towns of residence were released for all arrestees. Following the sting, a MPD representative noted to the local press that officers had conducted a similar operation in December 2013, which produced the additional arrests of two men.
- Madison Police Department
Web-Based Reverse Sting, Identity Disclosure:
- “6 Arrested in Valentine’s Day Prostitution Sting,” NBC/WAFF-TV 44, February 18 2014.
- “Valentine’s Day Prostitution Sting Yields 6 Arrests at Madison Motels,” Birmingham News, February 18 2014.
- “Madison Police Cracking down on Prostitution,” NBC/WAFF-TV 44, February 20 2014.
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “FBI Investigates Human Trafficking at Madison Motel,” CBS/WHNT-TV 19, December 7 2012.
- “Human Trafficking on the Rise in Alabama,” CBS/WHNT-TV 19, December 7 2012.
- “Police, FBI Make Five Arrests in Human Trafficking Case in Madison,” Madison County Record, December 7 2012.
- “Human Trafficking Suspects to Appear in Court in January,” NBC/WAFF-TV 44, December 18 2012.
- “Madison Police Department’s New Street Crimes Unit Played Integral Role in Recent FBI Sex-Trafficking Sweep,” Birmingham News, June 26 2014.
- “5 More Suspects Sought in Royal Spa Human Trafficking, Prostitution Probe,” Birmingham News, December 3 2015.
- “1 More in Custody in Royal Spa Human Trafficking Probe,” Birmingham News, December 7 2015.
Background on Prostitution in the Area: