Lynnwood is a city located in Washington with a population of roughly 38,000. Police began conducting reverse stings in 1995. Starting in 2005, police also began conducting web-based reverse stings. The names of those arrested are released to the public. The city is also able to seize the autos of those arrested for solicitation of prostitution. In addition, police can order “stay out of areas of prostitution” orders.
In the 2005 reverse sting, police arrested 11 men during a three-hour prostitution sting along Highway 99 in Lynnwood. The men were lining up two or three vehicles at a time trying to pick up female police officers posing as prostitutes, said a Sgt with the Lynnwood special operations unit. The sting happened in the middle of the day near 168th Street SW. At least one man pulled up in a work vehicle. The men were arrested for investigation of patronizing a prostitute or loitering for the purposes of prostitution and booked into the Lynnwood jail. They could have faced up to a year in jail and a $500 fine.
- Lynnwood Police Department
- Everett Police Department
- Snohomish County Sheriff’s Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Five Arrested in Prostitution Sting,” Seattle Times, October 24 1996.
- Brewer, D.D. et al (April 2007). Clients of Prostitute Women: Deterrence, Prevalence, Characteristics, and Violence, Report to the U.S. Department of Justice, Document No. 218253.
- https://www.heraldnet.com/news/11-men-nabbed-in-lynnwood-prostitution-sting/ (2005)
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Everett Man Charged in Prostitution Case,” Everett Daily Herald, November 28 2007.
- “15 Arrested in Craigslist Prostitution Sting,” Seattle Times, August 12 2008.
- “Lynnwood Couple Accused of Luring Teen Girls into Prostitution,” Seattle Times, January 8 2015.
- “Lynnwood Couple Sought by Redmond Police for Sex Trafficking, Prostitution,” Lynnwood Today, January 8 2015.
- “Couple Lures Girl into Working as a Prostitute by Claiming It Was for a Documentary,” Portland Oregonian, May 7 2015.
- https://www.skagitbreaking.com/large-prostitution-ring-western-washington-busted-human-trafficking (2017)
- https://www.king5.com/crime/lynnwood-man-gets-33-years-for-luring-girls-women-into-prostitution (2018)
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Topless Housecleaners Cited,” Moscow-Pullman Daily News, March 5 1992.
- “Woman Agrees to Testify in Prostitution, Drug Trial,” Seattle Times, June 22 1992.
- “Police Blotter; Lynnwood,” Seattle Times, June 22 1993.
- “Did Local Vice Cops Cross the Line?,” Seattle Times, October 7 2005.
- “Charges Dropped in Lynnwood Prostitution Case,” Seattle Times, October 20 2005.
- “7 Women Arrested in Escort Prostitution Sting,” Everett Daily Herald, November 3 2007.
- “Seattle Man Charged Following Lynnwood Prostitution Sting,” Everett Daily Herald, February 5 2009.
- “Prostitution Bust at Chi Health Spa,” Lynnwood Today, March 2 2011.