Lincoln County is in mid-coastal Maine, and includes the communities of Damariscotta and Milbridge. Prostitution and sex trafficking have been documented in the communities and unincorporated areas of the county, and this activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. In July, 2017 the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office charged eight people with prostitution-related crimes after an “extensive” investigation that began with a complaint received by the Damariscotta Police Department in April 2017 and involved ads placed on Craigslist and Backpage. Seven men were arrested and charged for attempting to purchase sex, and their identities were included in news reports. All charges in the investigation were class E misdemeanors, with a maximum penalty of six months in jail. The Damariscotta, Milbridge, and South Portland police departments, as well as the Everett, Mass. department, assisted in the investigation.
- Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office
- Damariscotta Police Department
- Milbridge Police Department
- South Portland Police Department
Web-Based Reverse Sting, Shaming:
- http://wgme.com/woman-7-men-charged-in-connection-to-lengthy-prostitution-investigation-in-damariscotta (2017)
- http://wgme.com/man-charged-in-midcoast-prostitution-bust-claims-hes-innocent (2017)
- http://lcnme.com/currentnews/damariscotta-woman-charged-engaging-prostitution/ (2017)
- http://www.wiscassetnewspaper.com/no-charges-filed-against-damariscotta-resident-center-prostitution-case (2017)
- https://www.foxbangor.com/man-is-shocked-when-summonsed-after-a-prostitution-ring-is-busted (2017)
- https://wgme.com/news/man-charged-in-midcoast-prostitution-bust-claims-hes-innocent (2017)
- https://lcnme.com/courts/sabattus-man-pleads-no-contest-prostitution-case/ (2017)
- https://www.boothbayregister.com/prostitution-investigation-yields-arrest-summonses (2017)