Liberty is a city of approximately 10,400 residents, located 40 miles northwest of Houston in Texas. It is the county seat of Liberty County. In recent years, prostitution activity has spiked in the city, leading many community members to file complaints with the Liberty Police Department. After repeated roundups of the city’s prostituted women failed to produce any apparent impact, LPD detectives implemented a new strategy targeting sex buyers in 2007. That September, police conducted the city’s first street-level reverse sting, resulting in the arrest of nine johns. The operation used an undercover female officer as a decoy. The LPD released the mens’ names, photos and other identifying information to the media.
- John Arrests with Shaming:
- “Liberty Trial Set in Prostitution Case,” Houston Chronicle, August 21 1987.
- Street-Level Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Liberty Proposes Pre-Emptive Strike on Sex Businesses,” Houston Chronicle, January 4 1999.