|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Largo is an unincorporated area and census-designated place in Prince George’s County, Maryland, with a population of about 12,000. Prostitution and sex trafficking throughout the county are well documented. For example, in July 2013, state, local and FBI law enforcement officers participated in a coordinated child sex trafficking operation that resulted in the arrest of three suspected pimps/traffickers. The Baltimore FBI spokesman said that the three operated in Prince George’s County. The Prince George’s County Police Department provides support for reverse stings to communities within the county. For example, in 2012, the PGPD conducted a reverse sting in the city of College Park, but also stated that the department conducts reversals throughout the county. In late April 2014, the PGPD announced it would “live Tweet” during future reverse sting operations, focusing on revealing the identities of newly arrested sex buyers from the moment they are taken into custody.
To combat consumer-level demand for prostitution, at least one web-based reverse sting has been conducted in Largo. In October, 2021, an assistant coach for the Maryland Terrapins men’s basketball team was arrested after he had arranged to meet with an “anonymous online contact” to purchase sex in exchange for $80. He was arrested when he arrived at the hotel at the agreed upon time and hotel, and handed the undercover officer $80. In January, 2022 the Terrapins announced a 30-day suspension for the sex buyer.
- Prince George’s County Police Department
- Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s Office
Web Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- https://timesnewsexpress.com/maryland-basketball-suspends-assistant-coach-over-arrest-connected-to-soliciting-prostitute/ (2022)
- https://www.totalprosports.com/maryland-assistant-coach-arrested-on-charges-of-soliciting-a-prostitute/ (2022)
- https://www.cbssports.com/maryland-assistant-30-day-suspension-follows-arrest-on-charges-of-soliciting-a-prostitute/ (2022)
- https://nationalpost.com/maryland-assistant-suspended-following-prostitution-arrest (2022)
Background on Local Prostitution and Sex Trafficking:
- Woman, 19, Allegedly Forced into Prostitution; Abduction Suspect Arrested at Garden Inn in Laurel”, Annapolis Capital Gazette, June 11 2010.
- “Takoma Park Man Charged with Running Prostitution Ring in Annapolis”, Annapolis Capital Gazette, August 8 2012.
- “Prince George’s ‘Pimps’ Swept Up in Nationwide Raid Aimed at Underage Prostitution”, D.C. Crime Stories, July 29 2013.
- “Police: 16-Year-Old Girl Held as Sex Slave in Md.”, CBS/WUSA-TV 9, June 27 2014.
- “Prince George’s County Police Arrest 81 in College Park Prostitution Stings”, University of Maryland’s Diamondback, August 2 2012.
- “Police Arrest 30+ in College Park Hotels Prostitution Sting”, CBS/WNEW-FM 99.1, August 3 2012.
- “Dark World of Prostitution Turns to the Day”, Washington Post, December 17 2012.
- “Prostitution Led by Growth of Area Gambling, Police Say”, ABC/WJLA-TV 7, April 26 2013.
- “Pr. George’s Council Bill Would Ban Hotels’ Hourly Rates to Discourage Sex Trafficking”, Washington Post, September 23 2014.
- https://patch.com/prostitution-sting-nabs-four-prince-georges-county-men-0 (2016)
- https://www.capitalgazette.com/ac-cn-trafficking (2019)