Lake Delton is a village of approximately 3,000 residents, located in the Dells area of Wisconsin. Prostitution and prostitution-related violence have been documented in the city. In December 2008, officers from the Wisconsin Dells and Lake Delton Police Departments conducted a web sting after receiving a tip that a woman was advertising sexual services online. Police arranged to meet the woman in her Lake Delton home, and arrested her when she attempted to sell sex to an undercover officer. Police then used a cell phone seized during the arrest to intercept 11 johns responding to the woman’s original web listing. All arrestees had their names and other identifying information published by local media outlets.
- Web-based reverse stings, shaming:
- “Alleged Prostitution House Busted”, Baraboo News Republic, January 4 2008.
- “Police Arrest More than a Dozen After Wis. Internet Prostitution Sting”, CBS/WSAW-TV 7, January 4 2008.
- “Man in Court Over Dells Prostitution Sting”, Portage Daily Register, January 24 2008.
- Prostitution-related violence: