Kingsport is a city of approximately 45,000 residents, located along the northeast border of Tennessee. The Kingsport Police Department uses street-level reverse stings and web stings to apprehend sex buyers. In October 2008, the Kingsport Police Department arrested nine men on charges of solicitation as the result of an ad-hoc reverse sting operation. Following a series of community complaints, police responded to two Craigslist postings advertising sex. After arranging to meet with the women and placing them under arrest, undercover officers used the prostituted women to intercept johns replying to their Craigslist ads. The Kingsport Police Department routinely releases the names, ages, and addresses of arrestees to the media. Johns can be required to perform community service, and may also have their vehicles seized and/or driving licenses suspended.
- Kingsport Police Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- Web-Based Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Kingsport Prostitution Sting Nets 11 Arrests,” Kingsport Times-News, December 10 2008.
- “Several Arrested in Prostitution Sting,” Bristol Herald Courier, December 10 2008.
- “Winnabow Man Charged with Soliciting Sex on Craigslist,” Wilmington Star-News, December 10 2008.
- “Five Suspects in Kingsport Prostitution Sting Sentenced,” Kingsport Times-News, February 5 2009.
- “Five Charged in Kingsport Prostitution Sting, Including Bristol Attorney,” Kingsport Times-News, April 28 2009.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Kingsport Woman Charged with Prostitution; Allegedly Waves Down, Solicits Officer,” Kingsport Times-News, November 2 2009.
- “Two Arrested in Kingsport Prostitution Sting,” Kingsport Times-News, November 19 2009.
- “Kingsport Woman Nabbed during Prostitution Sting,” Kingsport Times-News, March 8 2010.
- “Woman Charged with Prostitution in Kingsport Parking Lot,” Kingsport Times-News, April 7 2010.
- “Kingsport Prostitution Suspect Claims She ‘Just Wanted Sex’ and ‘Didn’t Know What to Charge’,” Kingsport Times-News, April 14 2010.
- “Kingsport Police Charge Three NC Women in Online Prostitution Sting,” Kingsport Times-News, July 6 2011.
- “More NC Women Cited for Prostitution in Kingsport,” Kingsport Times-News, July 14 2011.
- “KPD Officer Cites Woman for Prostitution,” Kingsport Times-News, September 13 2011.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Interstate Slaying Suspect Confesses to Second Killing,” Norwalk Hour, April 14 1995.
- “Suspect Admits to Second Murder,” Lexington Dispatch, April 17 1995.
- “Trucker Admits Third Murder,” Spartanburg Herald-Journal, April 18 1995.
- “Man Gets Life in Truck-Stop Slayings Case,” Park City Daily News, December 17 1995.
- “Christmas Day Tryst Prompts Kingsport Assault, Prostitution Arrests,” Kingsport Times-News, December 28 2010.
- “Christmas Tryst Leads to Arrest of Three,” Knoxville News-Sentinel, December 29 2010.