|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Kershaw County is a county of about 66,000 residents located in South Carolina, just northeast of Columbia. The county seat and largest city is Camden.
At least two reverse sting operations have occurred in the county. The Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office arrested four men during a web-based reverse sting conducted in July 2015. Deputies posted online ads, and numerous men allegedly called or texted an undercover officer to meet at a hotel for paid sex. Once the men met with an undercover female deputy and solicited her for sexual acts, they were taken into custody by a surveillance and arrest team that was stationed nearby. Deputies arrested and charged the four men with solicitation of prostitution, and they soon all bonded out of the Kershaw County Detention Center. The penalty for solicitation of prostitution includes a $200 fine or 30 days in jail. Photos and identifying information about the arrested men were publicly released.
In July 2017, deputies conducted prostitution sting operations on two nights at different locations in Kershaw County, which yielded the arrest of 10 men who sought to buy sex. Undercover deputies met with the men, using motel rooms wired with audio and video recording equipment to document the encounters, and those offering to pay for sex were arrested.
- Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office
Street-Level and Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- http://www.cleveland19.com/story/four-men-arrested-during-prostitution-sting (2015)
- http://www.chronicle-independent.com/archives (2015)
- http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime (2017)
- http://wach.com/news/local/multiple-people-arrested-kershaw-county-prostitution-sting (2017)
- http://www.wistv.com/story/a-sting-with-undercover-female-deputies-led-to-10-arrests-in-a-prostitution-bust (2017)