Kent County is a county located in central Delaware, and with a population of about 176,000, is the least populous county in the state. The county seat is Dover, the state capital. Prostitution and sex trafficking have been substantial, documented problems in the city of Dover for decades. Most of the policy activity addressing has been within the city, which has conducted reverse stings, shaming, and operated a john school at one time. In Kent county outside of the city, there have been arrests of sex buyers, and public disclosure of their identities. For example, in September, 2018, the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) Fish & Wildlife Natural Resources Police arrested a Kent County woman for multiple drug-related and prostitution charges and a Kent County man for prostitution-related charges on Port Mahon Road near the Little Creek Wildlife Area outside Dover. The man was charged with one count of patronizing a prostitute, and his identity was disclosed in news releases.
- Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC)
- Fish & Wildlife Natural Resources Police
- Dover Police Department
- Weed and Seed Program
Arrest and Shaming of Sex Buyer:
- https://news.delaware.gov/2018/09/26/dnrec-fish-wildlife-natural-resources-police-make-arrests-drug-prostitution-charges/ (2018)
- “Program Seeks to Curb Prostitution; Dover’s John School to Educate,” Delaware State News, June 1 2004.
- “Information – John School (“Weed and Seed” Program),” Minutes, Safety Advisory Committee, City of Dover, June 30 2004.
Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Men Charged for Soliciting Sex,” Delaware State News, July 20 1995.
- “Men Charged in Sex Solicitations,” Delaware State News, July 21 1995.
- “Four Arrested in Sting: A Joint Operation between Dover and Newark Police,” Delaware State News, October 23 1996.
- “Downstate Policing, Downtown Crackdown; Dover Program Gets Results,” Delaware State News, September 17 2002.
- “Bill Gets Tough on Prostitutes; Steeper Fines, Disclosed Testing Key to Proposal,” Delaware State News, May 27 2006.
- “Six Arrested in Prostitution Sting at White Oak Park,” Smyrna-Clayton Sun-Times, March 12 2010.
- “Six Arrested in Sting in White Oak Park,” Dover Post, March 12 2010.
- “Townsend Man Arrested in Prostitution Sting,” Middletown Transcript, March 15 2010.
- http://www.wboc.com/story/12130991/6-arrested-in-sex-sting-at-dover-park May 2010
- “Ex-Smyrna Official Charged in Sex Case; Evans to Be Arraigned for Allegedly Patronizing Undercover Prostitute,” Delaware State News, August 31 2010.
- http://www.wboc.com/story/13054808/dover-prostitution-sting-nabs-3-men August 2010
- “Police Arrest Man on Charges of Soliciting a Prostitute,” Dover Post, October 26 2011.
- “Police Jail Man on Charges of Soliciting a Prostitute,” Dover Post, October 29 2011.
Background on Local Sex Trafficking and Prostitution:
- “Massage Parlors Turned into Conversation Parlors,” Bowling Green Daily News, June 15 1979.
- “Prostitutes Use Unique Methods to Elude Law,” Prescott Courier, June 17 1979.
- “Woman Arrested on Sex Charge,” Delaware State News, July 24 1993.
- “Police Arrest 17 for Drugs,” Delaware State News, February 18 1995.
- “Police Make Prostitution Arrests,” Delaware State News, June 5 1996.
- “Dover Polls Prostitution Crackdown,” Delaware State News, July 31 1999.
- “Program May Help Lower Dover Crime,” Delaware State News, August 23 1999.
- “Dover Woman Arrested for Prostitution,” Delaware State News, July 26 1995.
- “Police Put Hook on Vice; Dover Officers Go Undercover to Nab Prostitutes,” Delaware State News, January 23 2006.
- “Prostitution Sting Targets Dover Massage Parlor,” Milford Beacon, January 27 2011.
- https://www.delawareonline.com/2017/05/22/two-teenager-rescued-sexual-servitude-after-dover-motel-sting (2017)