Jonesboro is a city located in northeastern Arkansas and has a population of about 70,000 people. Prostitution and child sex trafficking have been documented in the city. In addition, local business owners and residents have complained about prostitution in certain neighborhoods; some city residents have gone as far as writing down the license plate numbers of cars seen idling in high “stroll” areas, and posting signs warning johns and others that their plates numbers would be recorded and reported to law enforcement.
The Jonesboro Police Department, for its part, has conducted street-level reverse stings since at least 2003, and web-based reverse stings since at least 2011. During a weeklong web-based reverse sting operation in 2011, for example, 11 johns were arrested. As part of their punishment, their names, ages, and cities of residence were published in local media along with the fact that they were arrested for solicitation. Although some major news outlets opted not to publicize the identities of those arrested, the Jonesboro Sun has reported the names of johns arrested in the community since at least 2003.
- Jonesboro Police Department
- PROWL Unit
- Street-Level Reverse Stings: with Shaming:
- “JPD Undercover Operation Targets Johns,” Jonesboro Sun, July 11 2003.
- “Five Men Arrested for Solicitation,” ABC/KAIT-TV 8, July 12 2003.
- “JPD, PROWL Unit Make Arrests in Prostitution Sting,” ABC/KAIT-TV 8, November 5 2009.
- Web-Based Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Undercover Online Prostitution Bust Nets 11 in Jonesboro,” ABC/KAIT-TV 8, September 12 2011.
- “Prostitution Sting Brings 11 Arrests,” Jonesboro Sun, September 13 2011.
- “Undercover Online Prostitution Bust Nets 11 in Jonesboro,” Newport Independent, September 14 2011.
- “Newport Man Charged in Prostitution Sting,” Newport Independent, September 15 2011.
- Neighborhood Action:
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Prostitution in Region 8,” ABC/KAIT-TV 8, February 9 2006.
- “Undercover Sting Lands 2 in Jail on Prostitution Charges,” ABC/KAIT-TV 8, October 26 2012.