|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Johns Creek is a city of just over 82,000 residents, located in the northeastern suburbs of Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia. Prostitution activity, arranged online and occurring in and around local businesses, has been reported in the community for years.
In early 2015, the Johns Creek Police Department launched an anti-prostitution investigation after receiving reports that a local resident was pimping out her stepdaughter online. JCPD officers, with the support of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and officers with the Alpharetta and Roswell Police Departments, placed decoy advertisements on a website known for prostitution activity and arranged to meet the individuals who responded at a Johns Creek hotel. Fifteen individuals were arrested as a result; although the identities of and charges levied against the offenders were not individually reported, police did report “four people were charged with prostitution, seven were charged with pimping, three were charged with misdemeanor pandering, and one was charged with felony pandering for soliciting a minor for sex.” The woman initially suspected of pimping her stepdaughter– as well as the young victim she trafficked– were among those arrested. In addition, at least one male sex buyer was arrested during the investigation, after arranging to meet what he thought was an underage girl for commercial sexual abuse at the hotel. That offender’s name and mug shot were publicized in local media outlets.
- Johns Creek Police Department
- Georgia Bureau of Investigation
- Alpharetta Police Department
- Roswell Police Department
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “15 Arrested in Johns Creek Prostitution Bust,” ABC/WSB-TV 2, March 2 2015.
- “15 Arrested in Johns Creek Sex Work Sting,” WAVE-FM 90.1, March 3 2015.
- “15 Charged in Johns Creek Prostitution Ring,” NBC/WXIA-TV 11, March 3 2015.
- “Johns Creek Police Make 15 Arrests in Prostitution Sting,” Macon Telegraph, March 3 2015.
- “Johns Creek Prostitution Sting Nets 15,” CBS/WGCL-TV 46, March 3 2015.
- https://www.wsbtv.com/video/archive/more-than-dozen-arrested-prostitution-sting/ (2015)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Johns Creek Residents Upset about Questionable Activity at Massage Parlors,” Johns Creek Neighbor, April 23 2013.
- “Residents Call for Vigilant Stance on Massage Parlors; Seven Businesses along Ga. 141 in Johns Creek Targeted,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, April 24 2013.
- “In Your Community: North Fulton Casts Sharp Eye on Parlors; Alpharetta, Johns Creek Move Toward Stronger Controls,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, June 17 2013.
- “Johns Creek Police Shut down Massage Parlor, Arrest Five,” Johns Creek Neighbor, July 11 2013.
- “Documents Give Insight into Spa Raided Twice in 2 Weeks,” ABC/WSB-TV 2, August 2 2013.
- “Johns Creek Spa Busted for Prostitution,” ABC/WSB-TV 2, March 19 2014.
- “Northside: Johns Creek Passes Massage, Spa Measure,” Atlanta Journal-Constitution, July 17 2014.
- “Johns Creek Cracks down on Spa, Massage Businesses,” Johns Creek Patch, July 18 2014.
- “Human Trafficking in Johns Creek: How City Took Aim,” Appen Media Group, September 10 2014.