Jackson Township is one of the seventeen townships of Stark County, Ohio, and has a population of roughly 40,000. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of the county. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. For example, in October, 2014, the Jackson Township Police Department assisted Canton police in a sting operation that arrested four male sex buyers. ted eight people in two recent prostitution-related sting operations. In June, 2019, Jackson Township police arrested seven women on soliciting charges. During that investigation, they also arrested a local man for soliciting sex after he responded to ads placed online by a police officer posing as a 13-year-old girl. responded to a chat with a Canton police officer who said he was a 13-year-old girl. Birch discussed having sexual intercourse with the girl, then agreed to meet her at the hotel. The man faced felony charges of attempting to commit unlawful sexual contact with a minor and importuning. Jackson Township police led both investigations, with assistance from Canton, North Canton and Wooster police officers, as well as the the FBI’s Canton office and the Massillon city prosecutor. A preliminary hearing for the man was scheduled in Massillon Municipal Court.
- Jackson Township Police Department
- Canton Police Department
- North Canton Police Department
- Wooster Police Department
- FBI’s Canton office
- Massillon Municipal Court
Street-Level and Web-Based Reverse Stings, Shaming:
- https://www.timesreporter.com/article/20141007/NEWS/141009414 (2014)
- https://www.newcomerstown-news.com/sex-sting-in-jackson-township-might-be-linked-to-human-trafficking (2019)
- https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-stark/8-people-charged-in-stark-county-sex-sting (2019)
- https://www.timesreporter.com/article/20141007/NEWS/141009414 (2019)