Irvington is a city of about 60,000 residents located in eastern New Jersey, near Newark in the greater New York City metropolitan area. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of Essex County. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking. For example, in 2016 the Irvington Police Department participated in an FBI-led crackdown on human trafficking, and Fairfield police in Essex County also made multiple arrests.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. Police have conducted at least one reverse sting in the city in order to combat consumer-level demand for commercial sex.
- Irvington Police Department
Background on Local Prostitution and Sex Trafficking:
- https://www.nytimes.com/nyregion/Irvington_drugs-and-arrests-the-unseen-life-of-a-motel.html (2005)
- “Prosecutors: New Brunswick Couple Employed Prostitutes to Work at Brothels in NJ,” True NJ, September 18, 2014.
- https://patch.com/new-york/rivertowns/irvington-police-arrest-18-year-old-prostitution-drug-charges (2015)
- https://www.nj.com/news/2016/10/29_pimps_prostitutes_in_nj_arrested_in_fbi_human_t.html (2016)
- https://patch.com/underage-prostitution-ring-busted-essex-county-residents-arrested-prosecutor (2016)
- https://nextdoor.com/newark-police-department/newark-police-arrest-10-for-prostitution (2017)
- https://www.rlsmedia.com/newark-police-arrests-elizabeth-irvington-alleged-prostitutes (2018)
- https://patch.com/new-jersey/wayne/38-busted-across-nj-2-big-prostitution-sweeps (2018)