|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Irvington is a city of about 54,000 residents located in eastern New Jersey, located in Essex County. The city is situation near Newark, NJ and lies within the greater New York City MSA. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of Essex County. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking. For example, in 2016, the Irvington Police Department participated in an operation led by the FBI called Operation Cross County X, that focused on apprehending sex traffickers/pimps and rescuing victims of sex trafficking, in addition to the multiple arrests made by the Fairfield Police Department in Essex County.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. According to the National Assessment Survey in 2012, the Irvington Police Department reported having conducted at least one reverse sting in the city in order to combat consumer-level demand for commercial sex.
National Assessment Survey (2012)
Background on Local Prostitution, Sex Trafficking:
- https://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/15/nyregion/man-arrested-in-1997-killing-of-a-newark-prostitute.html (1998)
- https://www.nytimes.com/nyregion/Irvington_drugs-and-arrests-the-unseen-life-of-a-motel.html (2005)
- http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/09/prosecutors_new_brunswick_couple_employed_aliens_to_work_as_prostitutes_across_nj.html (2014)
- https://patch.com/new-york/rivertowns/irvington-police-arrest-18-year-old-prostitution-drug-charges (2015)
- https://patch.com/underage-prostitution-ring-busted-essex-county-residents-arrested-prosecutor (2016)
- https://nextdoor.com/newark-police-department/newark-police-arrest-10-for-prostitution (2017)
- https://www.rlsmedia.com/newark-police-arrests-elizabeth-irvington-alleged-prostitutes (2018)
- https://patch.com/new-jersey/wayne/38-busted-across-nj-2-big-prostitution-sweeps (2018)
- https://www.rlsmedia.com/article/irvington-newark-women-arrested-prostitution-crackdown (2018)
- https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/2016/10/29_pimps_prostitutes_in_nj_arr.html (2019)
- https://www.nj.com/news/2016/10/29_pimps_prostitutes_in_nj_arrested_in_fbi_human_t.html (2019)
Local Prostitution Ordinance:
Comments are closed.