Idaho Falls is a city of less than 60,000 residents in southeastern Idaho. It is located along an interstate highway, which police say contributes to the prostitution problem in local hotels. In a reverse sting occurring in 2011, the Idaho Falls Police Department arrested four men at a hotel in a web-based reverse sting. The operation was somewhat different than a standard web-based reverse sting: in this instance, police arrested two women who were selling sex online. The arrested women cooperated with police to conduct the reverse sting by continuing to run their online advertisement. Men who called their phone to arrange to buy sex were asked to meet at a hotel, where they were arrested by Idaho Falls police.
- Idaho Falls Police Department
- Web-Based Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Four Men, Two Women Arrested during Prostitution Sting in I.F.,” Idaho State Journal, October 31 2011.
- “Police Bust Men in Prostitution Sting; Business Burglarized; Men Arrested for Soliciting Sex,” Press Release, Idaho Falls Police Department, October 31 2011.
- “Four Arrested in Idaho Sex Sting,” NBC/KTVB-TV 7, November 1 2011.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Regional News; I.F. Girl, 14, Held on Felony Count of Pimping,” Idaho Falls Post Register, February 19 1999.
- “Man Facing Kidnap Charges,” Idaho Falls Post Register, July 28 2004.
- “Criminals Using Internet to Lure Kids into Sex Trafficking,” Idaho Falls Post Register, March 21 2013.
- “Idaho Not Free from Human Trafficking,” Idaho State Journal, November 23 2014.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Week in Review; S.D. Man Accused of Running Prostitution Ring,” Idaho Falls Post Register, February 13 2005.
- “Escort Service Creator Guilty,” Idaho Falls Post Register, May 5 2005.
- “SF Man Pleads Guilty in Escort Service Sting,” CBS/KELO-TV 11, May 6 2005.
- “Craigslist Ad Leads to Arrest,” Idaho Falls Post Register, June 20 2009.
- “Craigslist Ad Leads to Arrest for Prostitution,” Idaho State Journal, December 15 2009.
- “Montana Woman Arrested for Prostitution in Idaho Falls,” Idaho State Journal, March 23 2011.
- “Idaho Falls Woman Arrested for Prostitution,” Idaho State Journal, May 6 2011.
- “Looking Back; 100 Years Ago,” Idaho Falls Post Register, July 28 2011.
- “Idaho Falls Police Make Prostitution Arrest,” Idaho State Journal, April 22 2013.
- “Prosecutors Drop Prostitution Charge,” Idaho Falls Post Register, June 7 2013.
- “Looking Back; 100 Years Ago,” Idaho Falls Post Register, June 13 2013.
- “Police Say Too Much Sex for Sale in Eastern Idaho; Undercover Officers Found Prostitutes Online,” CBS/KIDK-TV 3, July 18 2013.
- “Two Arrested for Prostitution in Idaho Falls,” Idaho State Journal, July 22 2013.
- “Authorities Work to Deter Prostitution in East Idaho,” Idaho State Journal, July 26 2013.
- “A look at the sex trade in east Idaho from women who work it.” East Idaho News, March 22, 2018.