Hudson is a city of about 13,000 residents located in the greater Tampa area, in Pasco County, Florida. Street prostitution is a well-documented problem in a number of communities in the county (e.g., New Port Richey, Hudson, Tarpon Springs), particularly along the U.S 19 highway corridor, has generated a wide range of complaints from businesses and residents. Prostitution-related violence has also been documented, such as a case in 2013 in which a man posed as a police officer in order to rape prostituted women along route 19.
In order to combat consumer-level demand for prostitution, the New Port Richey Police Department has collaborated with the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office for undercover operations, including the “One Trick Pony” reverse sting occurring in March 2014. Seven sex buyers were arrested in the operation, and the identities and addresses of arrestees were disclosed and carried in news outlets.
- Hudson Police Department
- Pasco County Sheriff’s Office
- Street-Level Reverse Stings and Shaming:
- Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Man Accused of Offering Money to 2 Boys for Sex,” St. Petersburg Times, July 12 1992.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Hudson Woman Charged with Prostitution,” St. Petersburg Times, July 25 1991.
- “4 Women Accused of Soliciting Prostitution,” St. Petersburg Times, June 13 1992.
- “Model Jailed on Prostitution Charge,” St. Petersburg Times, July 23 1994.
- “Lingerie Shop Owner Arrested in Prostitution Case,” St. Petersburg Times, August 11 1994.
- “Dancer Acquitted of Prostitution Charge; The 19-Year-Old Woman Was One of Seven Performers at a Hudson Lounge Arrested Last Year in a Sheriff’s Sting,” Tampa Tribune, February 24 1996.
- “X-Rated Fare Proliferates in Hudson,” St. Petersburg Times, November 30 1998.
- “Adult Businesses Feeling Heat,” St. Petersburg Times, March 4 2001.
- “County Has Tough Time Gaining Evidence in Sex Sting,” St. Petersburg Times, June 7 2001.
- “Polk Offers Guidance in Pasco Sex Battle,” Tampa Tribune, March 17 2002.
- “Sting Targets ‘Brazen’ Prostitution on U.S. 19 in Pasco,” Tampa Bay Times, May 25 2012.
- “Pasco Prostitution Sting: 14 Women Arrested,” NBC/WFLA-TV 8, September 26 2014.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area: