Hillsboro is a city of approximately 91,000 residents located 20 miles outside of Portland in northwest Oregon. In 2007, Hillsboro police conducted a reverse sting. Two men were arrested for offering an undercover detective $20 for sex. The names and ages of those arrested were reported to local news outlets.
As sex trafficking has become a growing concern in the greater Portland area, the Hillsboro Police Department has participated with regional and national agencies in a series of “Operation Cross Country” law enforcement actions. These sweeps, organized by the FBI’s Innocence Lost National Initiative, are part of a coordinated effort to identify and apprehend individuals engaged in child sex trafficking. In a 2012 sweep, 100 suspected traffickers were arrested and 79 children were recovered nationally; 3 of the child victims were said to be from the greater Portland area.
In March, 2018 investigators arrested 18 men during a web-based reverse sting aimed at stopping prostitution across Washington County. The operation was conducted by a collaboration of Washington County Sheriff’s Office, Hillsboro Police Department, Lake Oswego Police Department, the Portland Police Bureau’s sex trafficking team, and the Washington County District Attorney’s office. The men were charged with soliciting prostitutes, and their identities were included in news releases. The arrested men were from a pool of over 70 contacts received by investigators who used various sex advertisements to entice prostitution customers to meet at an unidentified hotel. Commercial sexual solicitation in Oregon is a misdemeanor, carrying fines up to $6,250 and up to one year in jail. A similar operation had been conducted in late 2017, and resulted in 40 contacts; detectives could have attempted to meet and arrest each of those individuals, but they instead chose to give the prospective sex buyers a verbal warning, along with a promise they would be arrested if ever found to be involved in another prostitution situation.
- Hillsboro Police Department
- Street Crimes Unit
- Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- “Three arrested in prostitution sting.” 22 Jun 2007. The Hillsboro Argus.
- https://portlandtribune.com/hillsboro-tribune-news/police-nab-18-in-prostitution-sting (2018)
- https://patch.com/oregon/hillsboro/18-men-arrested-sex-trafficking-sting-sheriff (2018)
- http://www.kptv.com/37-people-arrested-cited-during-undercover-prostitution-sting-in-metro-area (2018)
- https://www.kptv.com/news/undercover-human-trafficking-sting-in-portland-hillsboro-leads-to-23-people-charged (2018)
- https://pamplinmedia.com/ht/117-hillsboro-tribune-news/hillsboro-police-join-prostitution-sting-23-arrested (2018)
- Background on Sex Trafficking in the Area: