|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Hayward is a city of approximately 160,000 residents located in the greater San Francisco Bay Area in Alameda County, California. Prostitution and the sex trafficking of minors are persistent and visible problems in the area. For example, in 2010, officers with the Hayward Police Department found two teenagers they believed were employed or “being groomed” for commercial sexual exploitation and arrested 15 adults, including three who faced pimping charges. The investigation was part of a weeklong, nationwide sting operation targeting “underage prostitution” (or more accurately, child sex trafficking).
To combat demand for commercial sex, the Hayward Police Department has also partnered several times with police in neighboring communities (such as the Newark, Emeryville, Oakland and Berkeley Police Departments) as well as agents from the Southern Alameda County Major Crimes Task Force and the FBI, to conduct street-level reverse stings designed to apprehend sex buyers. In early February 2015, for example, the Cook County, Illinois Sheriff’s Office reported the completion of the ninth annual National Day of Johns Arrests and, in a press release, indicated that Hayward Police, in partnership with the Alameda District Attorney’s Office and Alameda County Vice Enforcement Team had arrested 11 male sex buyers between January 15, 2015 and February 1, 2015. The logistical details of the operation– including the identities of the men arrested– were not disclosed. Similarly, in early February 2016, Hayward was among the locations cited in a Cook County Sheriff’s Office press release as having participated in a nationwide demand reduction effort known as the National Johns Suppression Initiative. In the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, HPD officers reportedly arrested three male sex buyers. The details of the arrests were again not reported. The Vacaville Police Department also noted Hayward’s use of demand-driven tactics when asked about operations targeting sex buyers in the National Assessment Survey.
- Hayward Police Department
- Alameda District Attorney’s Office
- Alameda County Vice Enforcement Team
- Southern Alameda County Major Crimes Task Force
- Newark Police Department
- Emeryville Police Department
- Oakland Police Department
- Berkeley Police Department
National Assessment Survey
- “570 Sex Buyers Arrested in National Super Bowl Sting Operation,” Press Release, Cook County Sheriff’s Office, February 2 2015.
- “Super Bowl Sex Trafficking Sting Nets over 500 Sex Buyers, 30 Pimps,” Press Release, Cook County Sheriff’s Office, February 9 2016.
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Prostitution Sweep Aims to Rescue Young Victims”, ABC/KGO-TV 7, November 8 2010.
- “FBI: 72 Arrested During Week-Long Prostitution Crackdown”, FOX/KTVU-TV 2, November 9 2010.
- “17 Arrested for Prostitution Ring Involvement”, ABC/KGO-TV 7, January 21 2011.
- “Eight Arrested in Major Bay Area Sex Slave Ring Bust”, FOX/KTVU-TV 2, January 21 2011.
- “Sex Ring Bust Rescues Enslaved Women: Police”, NBC/KNTV-TV 11, January 21 2011.
- “6 Juveniles Rescued in Prostitution Sweep”, ABC/KGO-TV 7, June 25 2012.
- “FBI, Cops Sting Child Prostitution Rings”, Inside Bay Area, June 25 2012.
- “12 Child Prostitutes Freed, 21 Pimps Arrested in Bay Area Sweep, FBI Says”, San Jose Mercury-News, July 29 2013.
- “Bay Area Law Enforcement Agencies Disclose Details of Underage Prostitution Sting”, San Jose Mercury-News, July 31 2013.
- “Hayward: Good Police Work Leads to Bust of Sex-Trafficking Ring”, FOX/KTVU-TV 2, January 9 2014.
- “Teen Leads Detectives to Hayward Sex-Trafficking Ring”, FOX/KTVU-TV 2, January 9 2014.
- “FBI: Bay Area One of Nation’s Top Places for Child Sex Trafficking”, ABC/KGO-TV 7, January 10 2014.
- “Police: Tip from 14-Year-Old Girl Uncovers Sex Trafficking Ring in Hayward”, San Jose Mercury-News, January 10 2014.
- “Teen Girl Forced into Prostitution Helps Police Arrest Two East Bay Sex-Trafficking Suspects”, NBC/KNTV-TV 11, January 10 2014.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Hayward Cracks Down on Owners of Properties Where Illegal Activities Take Place”, San Jose Mercury-News, November 6 2013.
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area: