Harvey is a city of roughly 25,000 residents, located south of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois. Among its efforts to reduce prostitution activity in the community, the Harvey Police Department has conducted reverse stings since at least 1996. The operations have used a female undercover officer posing as a prostituted person in various parts of the city. Arrested sex buyers have had their vehicles impounded and their names, ages, and hometowns reported to the media.
- Harvey Police Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Prostitution Ruse Leads to 5 Arrests,” Chicago Sun-Times, June 2 1996.
- “Harvey: Daytime Sting Nabs Prostitutes, Johns,” Harvey and Markham Star, August 7 2005.
- “Harvey: Police Bust Nine in Prostitution Sting,” Harvey and Markham Star, December 1 2005.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Former Harvey Cop Pleads Guilty to Official Misconduct,” Chicago Daily Southtown, May 17 2006.
- “Harvey Officer Sentenced to Two Years in Prison,” Harvey and Markham Star, May 18 2006.
- “University Park: Former Police Officer Sentenced to Two Years in Prison,” Harvey and Markham Star, May 21 2006.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Harvey / Cops Say Bar Was House of Prostitution,” Harvey and Markham Star, June 13 2004.