Harbor City is a community of approximately 25,000 residents, located within the city of Los Angeles, California near Lomita and Wilmington. In an effort to reduce prostitution activity, local law enforcement has conducted street-level reverse stings in the community since at least 1995. More recently, in November 2010, officers from the Los Angeles Police Department’s Harbor Community Policing Station conducted a street-level reverse sting using an undercover female officer as a decoy. The operation resulted in the arrest of 7 johns. Their identities were not released to the public.
- Los Angeles Police Department – Harbor Community Policing Station
- Reverse Stings:
- “Undercover Police Nab 23 in Vice Sweep”, Torrance Daily Breeze, December 15 1995.
- “Port Sting Operation Nets 48”, Torrance Daily Breeze, September 18 1996.
- “7 Arrested in Harbor City Vice Sting”, Torrance Daily Breeze, November 21 2010.
- “Seven Held in Vice Sting; Harbor City: Arrests Follow Complaints from Residents, Businesses”, Torrance Daily Breeze, November 22 2010.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- For additional material, please see discussion of Los Angeles.
- “Local Clinic Is among 8 Raided; Prostitution Sweep Results in Seven Arrests”, Torrance Daily Breeze, January 20 2001.
- “Harbor City Man Sentenced in Pimp Case”, Torrance Daily Breeze, July 22 2003.