|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Gulf Shores is a coastal city of about 16,000 residents in Baldwin County, AL. Prostitution activity has been well-documented within the county, and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking. Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has been targeted by local law enforcement agencies in some operations. The Gulf Shores Police Department has partnered with nearby county and city law enforcement agencies to conduct at least one reverse sting in the community. In early 2008, in coordination with the Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office, police departments from Daphne, Foley, and Gulf Shores conducted reverse stings on a local level. As a result of the multi-city collaboration, 57 sex buyers were arrested. According to media reports, the BCSO placed decoy advertisements for escort services in the Mobile Press-Register in the weeks leading up to the sting and arranged meetings with the men who responded. In the days following the sting, all of the arrestees’ names were released to the public. In a period of a week, the anti-prostitution investigation resulted in the arrest of 20 sex buyers in Gulf Shores alone.
Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “Baldwin Sex Sting Nets 75 Arrests”, Mobile Press-Register, February 5 2008.
- “Prostitution Sting Operation Nets 75 Arrests”, Baldwin Report, February 5 2008.
- “Sex Sting Produces 75 Arrests; Baldwin Sex Sting Nets 75 Arrests, Hotels Targeted”, Mobile Press-Register, February 5, 2008.
Background on Local Prostitution, Sex Trafficking:
- https://mynbc15.com/baldwin-co-traffic-stop-uncovers-human-trafficking-operation-teen-girl-rescued (2023)
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Rape or Sex for Pay? Baldwin Jury Must Rule; Defendants Charges Result of Money Dispute”, Mobile Press-Register, December 8 1992.
- “Trial Opens: Woman Says Was Raped at Gunpoint; Former Escort Agency Employee Says She Agreed to Have Sex with Only One of the Four Men on Trial”, Mobile Press-Register, December 9 1992.
- “Three Men Convicted of Raping Prostitute; Mobile Charges Possible in Three Similar Attacks”, Mobile Press-Register, December 11 1992.
- “Man Meets Bond in Prostitution Rape Case; On Thursday, Presiding Circuit Judge Charles Partin Denied a Motion to Increase Bond”, Mobile Press-Register, December 18 1992.
- “Man Convicted in Gang Rape Admits Role in Another Attack; Baldwin Judge Hands Down Sentences for Assault on Prostitute”, Mobile Press-Register, January 28 1993.
- “Police Arrest Robbery Suspects and Victim; Robbery Suspects, Victim Arrested”, Mobile Press-Register, November 24 2009.
- “Robbery Suspects, Victim Charged”, Gulf Coast News Today, November 25 2009.
- “Robbery, Prostitution And Murder”, CBS/WKRG-TV 5, December 27 2011.