Greer is a city of 26,000 in northwestern South Carolina, in Greenville County. Prostitution and sex trafficking have been reported locally; in 2012, a Greer resident was arrested and charged with “pimping” two underage girls (ages 13 and 16) in nearby in Greenville.
To reduce commercial sex activity in the community, the Greer Police Department conducts periodic street-level reverse stings targeting johns in areas known for prostitution. These operations are occasionally large in scale, at times netting over 25 johns in a single evening. Arrested johns have their names, charges, and other information released to the public.
Following one such sting in September 2014, members of the local media reported that the female undercover officer working the detail had “worn a hidden camera and a microphone [during the operation] so police nearby knew when to move in.” When asked for comment about the operation, a GPD representative stated that the department often “conducts stings to respond to complaints from neighbors and business owners.”
- Street-Level Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Greer Police Briefs; Cops Bust 8 in Sex Sting”, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, June 25 2008.
- “Greer Prostitution Sting Nets Nine in Arrest”, CBS/WSPA-TV 7, July 15 2008.
- “27 Arrested for Solicitation of Prostitution in Greer”, CBS/WSPA-TV 7, August 1 2011.
- “Greer Police Nab 27 ‘Johns'”, Greer Citizen, August 4 2011.
- “Crime Report for the Week of Nov. 9; Undercover Sting Nets 5 Arrests”, Greer Citizen, November 10 2011.
- “Mug Shots Released in Upstate Prostitution Sting”, NBC/WYFF-TV 4, September 17 2014.
- “MUGS: 10 Arrested in Greer Prostitution Bust”, CBS/WSPA-TV 7, September 17 2014.
- “Undercover Prostitution Sting Nabs 10 ‘Johns'”, NBC/WYFF-TV 4, September 17 2014.
- “Undercover Prostitution Sting Nets 10 in Greer”, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, September 17 2014.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Police Tout Progress in Neighborhood, Victor Mill Community”, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, February 15 2007.
- “Greer Leaders: Victor Mill Improving”, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, September 12 2007.