Greenburgh is a town of approximately 88,000 residents, located near White Plains in Westchester County, New York. Law enforcement have reported problems related to prostitution, particularly activities arranged online and occurring in local hotels and motels, for several years. Cases of robbery of johns, and the assault and kidnapping of prostituted women, have also be reported in the town.
In an effort to reduce commercial sex activity in the area, the Greenburgh Police Department conducts periodic web stings. Operations are often conducted in partnership with officers from nearby communities. In 2007, for example, Greenburgh Police partnered with the Rye, Rye Brook and Elmsford Police Departments to set up a web-based prostitution sting on Craigslist. Police posted their own ads and nabbed 14 men. The names, ages, and address of those arrested were reported in the news. Some of the investigations and undercover operations were launched by police after receiving complaints of prostitution from residents.
- Greenburgh Police Department
- Rye Police Department
- Rye Brook Police Department
- Elmsford Police Department
- Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- “Cops Say Sex Is for Sale on Web Site, Arrest 30 on Prostitution Charges”, White Plains Journal News, July 20 2007.
- “Johns Sting Nets DEP Officer”, New York Daily News, January 13 2008.
- “Online Hooker Ring Is Nailed”, New York Post, January 13 2008.
- “Local Prostitution Stomped Out; Numerous Arrests Made, over $21,000 Seized”, Rye Sound Shore Review, January 25 2008.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “3 Charged with Prostitution Offenses in Greenburgh”, Greenburgh Daily Voice, September 13 2012.
- “Buyer’s Remorse over Online Prostitute Nets 3 Arrests”, White Plains Journal News, September 13 2012.
- “Greenburgh Police Charge Two Women with Robbery”, Greenburgh Daily Voice, September 20 2012.
- “2 Mount Vernon Men Kidnapped Escort, Police Say”, White Plains Journal News, July 11 2014.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “As Prostitutes Turn to Craigslist, Law Takes Notice”, New York Times, September 5 2007.
- “Three Women Face Prostitution Charges in Greenburgh”, Greenburgh Daily Voice, May 1 2012.