|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Green is a city of approximately 26,000 residents, situated roughly equidistant between Akron and Canton in Summit County, Ohio. Prostitution activity, at times involving the commercial sexual exploitation of minors, has been documented in the community for over 20 years. Violence against women in prostitution, including armed robbery, have also been documented in the city and surrounding county. In 2016, a 59-year-old man and a 17-year-old girl were arrested after authorities were called to a park in Green. A Summit County Sheriff’s deputy responded to call to Boettler Park regarding a suspicious vehicle. The man met the 17-year-old online and arranged to pay her for sex. The man was arrested and charged with tampering with evidence, possession of methamphetamine, solicitation, and possession of drug abuse instruments. He was taken to the Summit County Jail.
Though local efforts to reduce demand appear limited, on at least one occasion law enforcement have conducted an investigation targeting individuals attempting to solicit minors for commercial sex acts. In July 1994, media outlets reported the arrest of a man at a Green motel on felony charges of soliciting a 12-year-old boy for prostitution. The Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported he had been intercepted “as the result of an investigation and sting operation [led] by Summit County Sheriff’s deputies.” Although the details of the sting were not reported (i.e., it is unclear if a decoy or other “traditional” sting tactics were employed), the Plain-Dealer noted that the man had driven from his hometown to the location, picked up a motel key, and “was arrested by the detective who awaited him in the [motel] room.” His name, employer, and other identifying information were released to the public; he ultimately pleaded guilty in November 1994.
In December 2016, Summit County sheriff’s deputies arrested 10 people for soliciting prostitution after a human trafficking sting at a hotel in Green. The operation was conducted by the sheriff’s office in conjunction with the FBI. Not many details were released about the operation, but the arrestees were charged with soliciting and at least one with possession of cocaine.
- Summit County Sheriff’s Office
Arrest and Identity Disclosure of Individuals Attempting to Purchase Sexual Abuse with Minors:
- “Lake Township Man Accused of Meeting up with Teen Prostitute in Green Park,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, March 1 2016.
- https://fox8.com/suspect-arrested-for-drugs-sex-with-17-year-old-in-summit-county-park (2016)
- “Medina Teacher Denies Charge; Police Say He Paid for Sex with Boy,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, July 1 1994.
- “Suspect’s Job Status Unknown,” Akron Beacon Journal, July 1 1994.
- “Junior High Librarian Likely to Retire after Sex Crime Charges,” Akron Beacon Journal, August 17 1994.
- “Akron; Ex-Teacher Admits Charge,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, November 18 1994.
- “Akron; Teacher Guilty in Sting,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, November 18 1994.
- “Former School Librarian Pleads Guilty to Sex Solicitation,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, November 18 1994.
- “Schools Seeking Way to Fire Ex-Librarian,” Akron Beacon Journal, November 19 1994.
- https://www.cleveland19.com/human-trafficking-green-arrests (2016)
- https://www.beaconjournal.com/10-people-arrested-in-green (2016)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Court Rejects Appeal from Man who Drove Prostitute to Appointments,” Columbus Daily Reporter, March 10 2015.
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Akron Man Accused of Robbing Women He Met on the Internet,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 9 2014.
- “Man Accused of Robbing Women He Met Online Charged in Separate Akron Robbery,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 11 2014.
- “Google Search Helps Convict Man of Robbing Three Summit County Prostitutes,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 4 2015.
- “Akron Man Sentenced for Armed Robbery of Three Summit County Prostitutes,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 8 2015.
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area: