Grady County is part of the Oklahoma City, OK Metropolitan Statistical Area, and is located southeast of Oklahoma City, and directly West of Norman. The county has a population of roughly 55,000, and the county seat is Chickasha.
Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been well-documented in the county. Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been a target of local law enforcement responses. For example, in June, 2019 the Chief of Police in Cement was arrested by Grady County officials after allegedly offering a 16-year-old girl money for sex, and faced charges of Soliciting Child Prostitution. The suspect had known the 16-year-old girl for 5 years. He arranged to meet the girl in an alley behind her home in Chickasha. When she got in his car, he allegedly told her he would give her “a lot of money” if she would perform oral sex on him. The girl refused, and the man allegedly asked her if one of her underage friends would do it, asking her to contact the friend. He then left but later texted the victim allegedly saying “please don’t rat me out” and that “I didn’t think about your age.” When questioned by Chickasha Police, he allegedly admitted to having propositioned a juvenile for sex, and trying to contact a second juvenile female for oral sex. The man’s arrest was not the result from a proactive effort to find and apprehend sex buyers, so is not counted as a reverse sting, but the public disclosure of his identity after his arrest constitutes shaming.
Oklahoma law prohibits people from engaging in prostitution under 21 O.S. 1029, which addresses both prostitution and solicitation of prostitution in the same manner under the same statute. Both prostitution and solicitation are misdemeanors. The penalties for prostitution and solicitation include a jail term of 30 days to one year and a fine of up to $2,500 on the first offense. The fines increase with subsequent convictions, and the court may also mandate 40 to 80 hours of community service.
- Grady County Sheriff’s Department
- Chickasha Police Department
- Caddo County Sheriff’s Department
Arrest and Shaming of Child Sex Buyer, Community Service:
- https://kfor.com/cement-police-chief-arrested-on-soliciting-child-prostitution-charges/ (2019)
- https://www.kswo.com/cement-police-officer-arrested-solicitation-child-prostitution/ (2019)
- https://www.kswo.com/update-board-trustees-fires-cement-police-officer/ (2019)
- https://www.koco.com/cements-only-police-officer-arrested-after-confessing-to-soliciting-child-prostitution (2019)
- https://www.chickashanews.com/cement-police-officer-accused-of-soliciting-child-prostitution (2019)
Background on Local Prostitution and Sex Trafficking:
- https://azdailysun.com/man-admits-to-strangling-five-prostitutes-documents-say-Oklahoma (2003)
- https://www.facebook.com/chickasha-prostitute-photographed-having-sex-in-ups-truck (2013)
- https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/look-what-brown-can-do/Content?oid=2951968 (2013)
- http://www.johntv.com/operation-cross-country-x-2016 (2016)