|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Girard is a city in southern Trumbull County, Ohio, with a population of approximately 9,300 at the 2020 census. It is part of the Youngstown-Warren metropolitan area. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in other areas of the county. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking. A wide range of crimes associated with the local sex trade have been documented in the area, including child sexual abuse and rape.
Consumer-level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. Demand reduction tactics used in the city of Girard include sex buyer arrests and the public disclosure of their identities. For example, in September, 2022, a Girard man was indicted by a Trumbull County grand jury on 10 counts of sex offenses against two boys to whom he was giving gifts. The man was charged with three counts of rape that each carry potential life sentences; four counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, two counts of compelling prostitution, and one count of gross sexual imposition. Police said the offenses were reported by a parent in late July 2022 and had been happening over the prior two years. The alleged gifts included gift cards and other items.
- Girard Police Department
- Trumball County Sheriff’s Office
Arrest of Sex Buyer, Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.vindy.com/dozen-plead-not-guilty-in-sex-sting-operation/ (2020)
- https://www.wkbn.com/man-facing-rape-sexual-conduct-with-minor-charges-in-trumbull-county/ (2022)
- https://www.tribtoday.com/court-indicts-girard-man-in-case-of-sex-for-gifts/ (2022)
Prostitution-Related Child Endangerment:
- https://www.wytv.com/girard-pd-children-taken-from-filthy-home-where-woman-was-charged-with-prostitution/ (2015)
Background on Local Prostitution:
- https://www.morningjournalnews.com/salineville-man-caught-in-trumbull-sex-sting/ (2018)
Background on Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “2012 Raids Closed Massage Parlors in Warren But Have Yet to Bring Charges; Prostitution Probe Ongoing, Dewine Says”, Cleveland Plain Dealer, August 4 2013.
- “Newton Falls Man Faces Sex Charges”, Youngstown Vindicator, May 16 2014.
- “Man Accused in Child Sex Case Changes Plea”, ABC/WYTV-TV 33, October 2 2014.
- “Newton Falls Man Accused of Compelling a Minor into Prostitution”, NBC/WFMJ-T 21, May 16 2014.
- “Prostitution Ring Alleged; Grand Jury Indicts 10 at Cleveland”, Toledo Blade, April 11 1972.
- https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/New-Task-Force-Formed-to-Fight-Human-Trafficking (2016)
- https://www.wkbn.com/why-human-trafficking-court-is-necessary-in-youngstown (2019)
- https://www.wfmj.com/statewide-sting (2020)
- https://www.wkbn.com/warren-man-facing-charges-of-compelling-prostitution (2020)
- https://www.tribtoday.com/14-charged-in-sex-trafficking-operation (2020)
- https://www.wkbn.com/trumbull-county-businessman-pleads-guilty-to-prostitution-related-charge (2020)
- https://www.wkbn.com/former-trumbull-county-teacher-enters-plea-in-student-sex-crime-case (2021)
- https://www.wfmj.com/hundreds-walk-to-bring-awareness-to-valleys-human-trafficking-issue (2021)
- https://www.salemnews.net/youngstown-woman-arrested-for-prostitution-in-salem (2021)
- https://www.wfmj.com/youngstown-man-gets-prison-for-prostitution-conviction (2022)
Comments are closed.