Genesee County is located in eastern Michigan with a population of 426,000. The county seat and population center is the city of Flint. Prostitution and sex trafficking are well-established problems in Flint and surrounding ares of the county. The Genesee County Sheriff’s Office has conducted street level reverse stings since 2000 and web based stings since 2010. The street level reverse stings may happen once a week during the summer months. They have public education/awareness campaigns, neighborhood watch programs, and community service programs in place as well as a vehicle seizure program for anyone seen with a vehicle during the time of arrest. Johns that are arrested are identified in the local news, pay heavy fines to recover their seized autos, and may have other sanctions imposed by judges. Details about the county’s efforts to combat demand will be posted by the end of January, 2012.
- Genesee County Sheriff’s Office
- National Assessment survey and interview with Genessee County Sheriff’s Office
- Reverse stings, auto seizure:
- mlive.com, October 4, 2007. Sheriff counts on prostitution stings to help balance budget.
- Background on prostitution and sex trafficking in the area:
- The County Press, March 23, 2008. Prostitution ring operating from hotel busted.