Gates is a town of approximately 28,000 residents, located in western New York’s Monroe County on the outskirts of Rochester. In addition to several small-scale stings targeting women selling commercial sex, local law enforcement have conducted at least two investigations targeting johns in the community.
In January 2015, Gates Police Department officers conducted a reverse sting using a female undercover officer as a decoy, two days after conducting a similar anti-prostitution detail targeting women engaged in prostitution. Six men were arrested as a result; each was charged with third-degree patronizing a prostitute, and issued an appearance ticket. All of the men’s names, ages, hometowns, and arrest photos were released to the public.
When asked about the investigation, a representative with the GPD stated that “they believe putting the information out there will deter others from committing [the same] crime,” and noted that since “they started doing this kind of detail three years ago… they have never had the same male arrested twice for soliciting a prostitute.” Another officer reported that the “operation was started after the mother of a drug-addicted prostitute reached out to [the GPD] for help.”
In August 2015, GPD officers and local news outlets reported the arrest of a Rochester criminal defense lawyer during a similar anti-prostitution investigation. Although the details of the sting were not disclosed, the man’s identity and arrest photo was publicized in press. The GPD reported to the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle that they had arrested 33 sex buyers in sting operations since 2011 (as well as 125 sex sellers).
- Gates Police Department
- Reverse Sting with Shaming:
- “8 Arrests in Prostitution Sting in Gates,” ABC/WHAM-TV 13, January 12 2015.
- “Eight People Facing Charges Following Two Prostitution Details in Gates,” Gates-Chili Post, January 12 2015.
- “RazorSharks Mascot Busted in Sex Sting,” Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, January 13 2015.
- “John Parrinello Charged with Patronizing a Prostitute,” Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, August 20 2015.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Two Women Facing Prostitution Charges in Gates,” Gates-Chili Post, January 12 2011.
- “Prostitution Sting Leads to Two Arrests in Gates,” Gates-Chili Post, January 11 2013.
- “Woman, Motel Owner Arrested on Prostitution Charges in Gates,” ABC/WHAM-TV 13, February 26 2016.